Chapter 1

Abbey is a sixteen year old girl who lives with her stepmother. Her father, stepbrother Jackson, and her cousin Ryan serve in the US Marines. Abbey and her father share the love of Star Wars, and lately she's been having a ruff time. She hasn't seen her father since last Christmas, and today is Veteran's day. In every class in school, they've shown videos of kids being reunited with their parents and every video made her miss her family even more.

Now she was on her way to an assembly with the rest of her school. She met her boyfriend Kyle and some of her friends and sat in the back of the auditorium.

"I know you're having a ruff day," Kyle said as they waited for the assembly to start. "You doing okay."

"Yeah, I just miss them so much," Abbey said. Kyle took her hand in his.

"It'll be okay," he said. "You'll see them soon."

"Thanks," Abbey replied.

"Good afternoon students," their principle Mr. Greenday said. "As you all know today is the day we remember the people serving our country, and the ones who have lost their lives defending it. But there is one person her who we would like to call up here to tell us a little about their family in the military. Abigaile Calvin." Abbey looked up at the stage where the principal was standing.

"Please come up here," Mr. Greenday said. Abbey let go of Kyle's hand and started to walk up to the stage.  Once on stage Mr. Greenday gave her a microphone.

"So Abigaile, you have family in the army?" Mr. Green said.

"Uh, yeah,"Abbey said shyly. "My dad, my stepbrother Jackson, and my cousin Ryan are all in the Marines."

"And it's hard being away from them?"

"Yes, I haven't seen any of them for almost a year now, and it's just really hard knowing I might never see them again."

"Well Abbey, we're going to make you feel better, but first you need these," Mr. Greenday pulled two lightsabers out of his coat, and handed them to her.

"Lightsabers?!" Abbey asked confused. She pressed the button on the side of them, and a yellow blade came out of the top of each.

"Oh my gosh, this is so cool," Abbey said. "They're yellow! I mean purples my favorite color, but yellow lightsabers are my favorite." She pressed the button again and the blades retracted.

"Wait, why do I need these?" Abbey asked confused.

"To defend our school with," Mr. Greenday said like it was common knowledge.

"Protect our school from what exactly?" Abbey questioned.

"From Darth Vader," Mr. Greenday said in a low voice. Then Darth Vader walked onto the stage with two stormtroopers. Abbey looked at them with a shocked expression. The students in the crowd cheered at the appearance of Darth Vader.

"Abigaile Calvin, you are a Jedi traitor and a rebel spy," Vader said in his low mechanical voice. "You will either fight me, or join me." Abbey looked down at the lightsabers in her hands, and took a deep breath.

"I'll never join you, she said strongly. Darth Vader then turned on his single red lightsaber and took a fighting stance.

"Abbey you got this!" Her friends yelled together from the back of the auditorium. Abbey ignited both of her yellow lightsabers, and took a fighting stance.

"Cute, but you won't fight me," Vader said as he lowered his lightsaber.

"And what makes you so sure of that?" Abbey asked keeping her blades up.

"Because Abbey, I am your father," he said putting his lightsaber away.

"What?" Abbey asked confused. Then he took off his helmet, and Abbey saw her father's face. Abbey dropped her lightsabers and gasped with excitement.

"Dad!" She screamed as she ran to him and hugged him.

"Oh my little girl, you've grown so much since I've seen you last," he said.

"I missed you so much," she cried into his chest. Then she remembered the two stormtroopers who were standing behind him. She let go of him for a moment.

"Wait, who are they?" She asked wiping away tears. They then removed their helmets and she saw her brother Jackson, and her cousin Ryan.

"Ryan! Jackson!" she screamed as she hugged them both.

"Good to see you too Gaile," her brother laughed as they hugged her.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is my pleasure and great honor to introduce to you Captain Jonathan Calvin, Sergeant Ryan Calvin, and Corporal Jackson Calvin of the US Marines," Mr. Greenday said. The other students cheered and clapped for them.

"Wait, how are you all here?" Abbey asked.

"Your friends called us Gaile," Jackson said. "And some boy named Kyle said you've been sad lately cause you missed us."

"Oh, yeah, Kyle," Abbey said. Then she looked down and saw her friends standing below her.

"Thank you," she said. "All of you."

"Hey, that's what friends are for," Kyle said. "Just one question, why do they call you Gaile?"

"It's their pet name for me," she said. "Man, I don't think I could have any better friends than you guys. You gave me my family back. This is a gift I'll remember forever."

Author's notes
Hey guys so just wanted to say thanks for reading this book.