Chapter Five

The next two days were a buzz. Everyone started preparing for different things. Mia got a bag to take some things with me.

By the time they would go and get survivors, the plan was that the others should be prepared for the other things by then so they could leave immediately. This place was always busy but now it was ten times busier.

Again they were split into groups depending on the mode of transport, five people would use their legs because it's easier to spot people when you go walking, I was with the other group where we had a jeep, the jeep must have been a beast because it survived everything and still worked quite decently.

Dee's father was going to be driving, Mia and Dee sat in the front seat next to her dad. The others squeezed in the back. They would also look for food along the way and even a few seeds, some seeds were already reserved for planting in the new planet but the more number of species of plants it was better.

Now of course someone should fly right because after all, that's the only way they could go across the continent and reach every place ever. Mia though she wanted to fly, she didn't because her mom was not in another continent she was nearby and she didn't want to skip her mom.

They would fly on two of the flying cars which were carefully stored in the headquarters, of course. So they were ready to go.

She wish she had weapons or something that would make her feel strong but all she had was a rope but it was one of the most essential things because they were so many uses of it. For one, it could be used as a saviour when pulling someone up.

If it was using properly, it could be used to badly beat up people on their butt cheeks and other places, it could also be used to tie someone up on a tree. It could be used as a pillow if wound around properly, it would be uncomfortable but anything and everything was a luxury for Mia these days.

Since, Mia was sitting in the window side. She had made up her mind strongly that she would not let anything fool her. She convinced herself that she would find maximum amount of food and all people alive.

And her mom, she thought. All this while, she just awaited this moment when she could go and hunt for her mom and now she felt a small pain in her chest because there was a possibility that her mom wasn't around.

She wanted to bang herself for thinking that her mom wasn't alive anymore. She resisted the urge to drop the huge tear drop that had formed in her eyes. She forced herself to smile.

"What're you smiling at?" Dee asked.

Mia panicked. She just pointed into the air and said, "Oh, you missed it."

She was glad that Dee didn't ask for further explanation. Dee just continued talking to her dad about something.

Mia suddenly realised that she hadn't seen anyone laugh for a long time like a genuine, long laugh that's contagious. She added it to the list of things to do before I die/leave the Earth list.

She sighed. They hadn't come across any food or people, there were only a few shrubs which weren't capable of being eaten, even animals had not touched it which meant it was really very, very bad.

Mia wondered how wonderful it would be if her Mom's song would play through the broken speakers of the car and she figured that it would be for the worse, she would start bawling like a small baby and it would just be a nuisance for everyone.

They decided to stop the jeep and rest for a while. They didn't really have any communication devices to send messages to each other so they would just have to hope for the best.

Robots, built so well, she get laughed at how they were so easily destroyed in the weather. It was so hot that the metal literally melted and most of the robots had deactivated themselves so that they could save the humans and some of them killed themselves after failing to save their masters. Mia chuckled remembering her robot, Jasmine. The most funniest and witty robot.

She knew that potentially no robots were active then but she wished she would find Jasmine with her mom, baking cup cakes together and gossiping like they always did.

Stop thinking about the past, she said to herself. According the her anticipations, her house would probably take an hour to reach. So she knew that she had an hour before she would be most dreaded or the most alive person on the planet.

They stopped to take a break and fill their stomachs with the little food that they had bought. They all sat down. Dee and Mia were having a conversation and suddenly Mia saw a figure.

She started panicking because if it was a human, it was one thing and if it was not, it was another. Dee saw the look on Mia's face. She followed her gaze.

Dee called out everyone's attention in the most sly way ever. Mia let out a sigh of relief when she discovered it was just a guy around her age, a bit older than her.

He looked really tired and it looked like he was making some gestures calling out for help. Mia
immediately ran to reach him. He had these pink lips and very catching eyes.

Everyone came behind. He smiled when he saw Mia, it made Mia remember about Mason. Dee's dad and others carried him to the jeep and explained everything and Mia heard him explain everything about how he survived and heard a jeep and came running by.

"What's your name?" Mia asked.

It was shocking how she had spoken like that.

"Oh sorry, I'm Dave," He replied.

They continued their journey. When Mia knew that she was almost at her destination, she felt like puking and she felt all kinds of restlessness.

She knew where her house was. She could see the debris. She yelled stop and opened the door and she realised that of course her mom wasn't here and she cried.

There was no house anymore, just a land full of debris. She searched through the debris, she found what she wanted to. Her mom's information tablet. Her mom's brilliant smile flashed through it.

This was enough for all the information she needed. Her mom was with her now. She put up a straight face. "Let's go," She said.

Everyone looked at her with a lot of sympathy but no one knew how to comfort her. So they chose to keep quite. Mia looked at Dave and thought how badly he was injured and wondered what he'd had to put up with to survive so much.

They stopped when it was late at night. They hadn't found people, they just found some things which were edible which was a pretty good thing. They decided to stop for the night and continue tomorrow.

They just slept at different places. Mia just kept looking at the sky because she couldn't sleep.

Tsk, Dave made a sound. She looked at his face sparkling through the night sky.

"Hello, I know how you feel," He said.

"Yeah like I was stabbed four hundred times," She shrugged. He slept beside her. It was so odd to feel the warmth of another human being. If this was school, this kind of cute boy would never even look at her, Mia thought.

"Look Mia, that cluster of clouds. If you draw the lines the way you want, it looks like a butt hole," He announced.

"To me, it looks like your attempt to make a dumb joke," Mia said and laughed. He narrowed his eyes. They were just strangers who met unexpectedly. She narrowed her eyes.

All of a sudden, he started tickling her. She finally heard a long genuine laughter which was nobody else's but hers.

In a day or two their search would be over because the world was empty anyway and then they would leave forever. Damn, she would miss this beautiful Earth.

Before she knew it, she had slept next to a complete stranger with eyes that could kill anybody.

* * *

A/N- 1 A.M and still writing. Three more chapters to go.