Chapter 3: Mother Knows Best

After his date with Alex, Jack felt like he was left with more questions than answers. It was clear she had a rocky past- who didn't- but the way she skirted around topics had him think she was hiding something. Wednesday morning when Jack walked in to the diner, he immediately knew something was up with her. He tried talking with her when she wasn't busy serving customers but her answers were short and she always seemed to be scanning the crowd.

He asked if something was wrong, but she played it off like everything was fine. They still had their date Saturday night, maybe he could find out more then. In the mean time he did everything he could to avoid looking up more about her, including visiting his mother Friday night.

"Hey Mom," Jack called out as he walked into his childhood home.

"Hey honey, I'm in the kitchen"

The smell of his mother's homemade meatloaf and mashed potatoes washed over him as he crossed the threshold. "My favorite dinner? Why mother I would say you're trying to bribe me"

"Can't I just make you dinner without having an ulterior motive behind it?" She turned giving him a smirk. Bethany Haines stood at 5'2, with blonde hair and bright green eyes. She was always dressed nicely, stamping it the Haines' siblings that no matter where you are you should always look your best. Even as she furiously prepared things in the kitchen, she had her hair up in an elegant bun and a worn out apron over her flower printed dress.

"Sure, but this is you we're talking about." Jack laughed as stepped out of her way before she hit with some cooking utensil.

"So what's going on with this girl?" His mother cut right to the chase as they sat down with their food.

"What girl?" He asked hoping to avoid the whole reason he came over.

"You know who." She gave him a pointed look "The whole town has been talking about you two."

"We only went out for coffee."

"I heard from a couple of the bridge ladies that they saw you take her back to your place."

"Geez what is wrong with the gossip in this town. By next week I'll be engaged!"

"Really?!" Bethany asked hopeful

"No mother, I barely know the girl."

"Haha I know, I'm just messing with you. But you seem perturbed, what's going on?"

"We had a really nice time out and I going over tomorrow to make her dinner but when I tried to get to know her, she claimed up. I just get the feeling there's something she's not telling me."

"Well a lady is allowed to keep her secrets. She has a young son doesn't she?"

"Theo, yeah"

"Maybe she's just trying to protect him. She's a single mother, she trying to watch out and do what's best for him. It seems to be she's doing it all on her own, there could be troubled history with Theo's father. If you're serious about this girl, you're going to have to give her time to open up to you on her own time."

"I guess you're right"

"I'm always right Jack" Bethany laughed as she cleaned up their plates. Talking with his mother had been helpful. As curious as he was to find more about Alex he couldn't push her unless she was ready. After finishing dessert, he said good-bye to his mother and head home. All night he couldn't stop thinking about Alex, about how excited he was to see again tomorrow night.