"22"

6. “22”

BEHIND THE MUSIC

Sitting on a plane, Taylor got the idea for a song that would celebrate her summer: a time when she got to stay put for a while, recording her album from nine to five, then savoring being gloriously 22 with her pals.

BETWEEN THE LINES

As in “Fifteen,” at the age celebrated in “22” there is still heartbreak and bad choices and great friends, but rather than looking ahead as she did as a high schooler, she’s realizes she’s living something worthy of a euphoric dance floor anthem. “For me, being 22 has been my favorite year of my life,” said Taylor. “I like all the possibilities of how you’re still learning, but you know enough. You still know nothing, but you know that you know nothing. You’re old enough to start planning your life, but you’re young enough to know there are so many unanswered questions. That brings about a carefree feeling that is sort of based on indecision and fear and, at the same time, letting loose. Being 22 has taught me so much.”

FUN FACTS

Asked about the producer she worked with on this irresistible pop song, Taylor had nothing but praise: “I have always been so fascinated by how Max Martin can just land a chorus. He comes at you and hits you and it’s a chorus — all caps, with exclamation points.”

DIARY DECODER

This one’s for some of Taylor’s buds: “Ashley” (Avignone), “Dianna” (Agron), “Claire” (Kislinger), and “Selena” (Gomez).

CHARTING SUCCESS

Taylor’s infectious party anthem was released as Red’s fourth single on March 12, 2013. It peaked at number 20 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 12 on the Pop Songs chart.  “22” has got over 1,000,000 people feeling 22, as the song was certified platinum in the U.S. on May 13, 2013.

(excerpted from our book on T-Swizzle: Taylor Swift: The Platinum Edition, which is available wherever books are sold!)

Thanks to @AnaJoyce for this week's Swift Notes image!