"Starlight"

15.  “STARLIGHT”

BEHIND THE MUSIC

A photo of Ethel and Robert F. Kennedy at a dance in the late ’40s was the inspiration for this song. Taylor came across it while looking at old photos for fashion ideas, and thought, “They look like they’re having the best night.” Taylor told the Wall Street Journal, “So I just kind of wrote that song from that place, not really knowing how they met or anything like that.”

BETWEEN THE LINES

This enchanting number starts with a twinkling intro that itself seems made of starlight, then sweeps the listener onto the dance floor as the chorus kicks in — a dynamic that musically mimics what it’s like to fall in love. “Starlight” takes two members of American royalty and casts them as teens falling in love, skipping rocks and sneaking into parties. It’s a familiar Taylor tactic, and one that keeps her relatable even when her charmed life is the farthest thing from an average existence.

AUDIENCE OF ONE

Taylor met one of the famous subjects of her song after Ethel’s daughter Rory came to a Taylor Swift show and, hearing about the song, invited the songwriter to meet her mom. Ethel “just loved” the song, according to Taylor. Ethel has effusively and publicly praised Taylor, telling People, “She’s just sensational inside and out.”

FUN FACTS

Taylor was honored by the Kennedy clan at their December 2012 Ripple of Hope Gala for the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights where she performed this song.

DIARY DECODER

This one’s a dedication Taylor doesn’t feel the need to hide: “For Ethel.”

(from our book on Swifty, Taylor Swift: The Platinum Edition, available wherever books are sold.) 

Thanks to @taysminionyo for the beauteous Swift Notes image!