two.

the night before hadley and embry had both fallen asleep upset at the same person, sam uley.

although it may seem irrational hadley was upset with him because she figured he was the reason her brother was suddenly buff, easily angered, and never home. and she was one third correct. sam was the reason embry was hardly ever home because he had to learn to control his anger and run patrols around la push just like everyone else had to, and sometimes still has to do.

hadley woke up early, six a.m., to get to work on time. her shift is supposed to start at six thirty but because it's hadley she'll get there ten minutes early. she danced around her room getting ready for the day, because she had already forgiven embry for his biting words the night before. she knew he was just upset and he was obviously going through a lot of stress at the moment so she wasn't going to push anything. he'd talk to her when he was ready to talk, no earlier.

after she changed into her clothes for the day - a light grey long sleeve sweater with the store name on it, a pair of slightly ripped skinny jeans, white hightop converse, and of course her white gold necklace her grandmother gave her before she died - she walked downstairs to toast her poptarts before heading off to her aunt's small grocery store. her shift today is a long one, twelve hours. and most likely she would be by herself because her aunt was usually busy in the back room and it was a school day so kirsten, her coworker, being only a  junior was at school.

after getting the poptarts out of the toaster she started her trek to work. it only took ten minutes to get their considering how small la push was and for that she was thankful.

"one, two, three. . . five hundred sixty-seven, five hundred sixty eight." like usual when she was alone, she counted her steps.

as she was coming up to the store she saw a note on the door -

hadley, something came up with jensen's teacher i can't come in today. sorry!!
love, aunt jess

of course. the one day hadley didn't want to be alone and wanted to talk to her aunt about something she wasn't there. its not like she didn't have an excuse or anything her younger cousin jensen was a huge trouble maker and this is the third time in two months he's had an issue with his teacher.

hadley sighed and unlocked the shop door. she turned the sign from closed to open and headed towards the back room to check inventory of everything that came in yesterday.

it was tedious work and luckily no one came into the shop that early on a thursday morning, otherwise there was no way she would have gotten anything done. but at around ten o'clock her first customer walked in. she wouldn't have even known they came in if the bell hadn't rang, which suprised her since the floor boards were very squeaky. when she saw who it was she immediately scowled. sam uley had just walked into the store, and hadley wasn't very happy about it.

she cleared her throat trying to get up the courage to speak. but before she could even open her mouth he looked up at her and their eyes locked. he looked at her with the oddest look in his eyes. hadley didn't know how to describe it. she took a shaky breath and he looked at her concerned. too concerned for someone he had spoken to only once.

but still she found it somewhat flattering and for someone who thought she was never looked at twice she didn't know how to react. she blushed a light pink, smiled brightly and looked down at her feet.

____________________________________

sam was in shock. he had no idea what was going on but he was suddenly so connected to this girl that he had only talked to once. sam knew he needed to talk to one of the elders, hopefully harry. although, he needed to make sure that leah wasn't going to be in the house when he came over because ever since he had become a werewolf, and ultimately broke up with leah, you had been able to cut the tension with a knife whenever they were in the same room. and it wasn't like it was sexual tension, that would have been easier for everyone involved, this was she wanted to decapitate him and he felt bad that he had broken up with her tension.

although sam, seth, harry and sue still all got along fine there was an obvious rift in their relationship because of leah and sam's break up. they had been together for two years and even though they had ended on decent terms in his eyes she obviously didn't seem to feel the same way.

what seemed like hours later sam shook his head and grinned. although he has no idea what is happening he can tell it's something wonderful, and sam doesn't use the word wonderful.

it seemed they both didn't know what to say,  and then hadley figured she might as well chew him out.

"you! you're the reason embry turned into this little monster i don't know any more! what'd you tell him? that you'd hurt somebody if he didn't join your little gang? is that why you broke up with leah, so you could ruin not just one but multiple lives? what is wrong with you!"

sam didn't know what to say all he knows is his chest hurt and he wanted to make her not be upset at him. he knew she didn't get upset often and that hurt even more; knowing he made her this way, so angry - angry at him. he started to get angry at himself, and that wasn't good.

____________________________________

hadley was breathing heavy, like she had just run a marathon. and for some reason as soon as she said all of those hateful words, although she meant them, she regretted them immensely. she knew she shouldn't have said anything.

before she could even open her mouth to start her apology towards him he slammed the door open and ran outside to his beat up chevy. and with one last look towards hadle he peeled out of the parking lot.