Jealous

So this is a bit different and I had to stop myself from revising it for the millionth time and force myself to just post it. Anyways I hope you like it!

Things You Said Series:

In which she's jealous.

Rating T: kissing and curse words (more like curse word but whatever)

Words: 1,305

#24 "Things you said with clenched fists."

You watch as slowly but surely your genius gains confidence. He sheds his turtlenecks and colorful pants and exchanges them for leather jackets and dark jeans. His hair no longer hides his cobalt blue eyes, the startling color draws a gaggle of girls that he doesn't turn away. The flirting once reserved for you and Maya was now open and available to any willing participant. He assures you that you will always hold a special place in his heart but that doesn't stop you from getting a sick feeling every time some girl sidles up to him and begins touching him unnecessarily. Maya just shrugs every time you bring it up but suddenly it seems like half the school needs help with last night's math homework.

It doesn't help that you recently came to the conclusion that you love him. Yup, Riley Matthews loves Farkle Minkus. And while you don't know what to do with these feelings you know enough to do nothing. Farkle Minkus has become a serial dater and you're not sure that you want any part of that. You've heard rumors about helicopter rides and fancy dinners. But you fall asleep at night, a smile on your face knowing that you love him for him and not the useless material things he likes to flaunt.

You watch from the corner of your eye as Missy Bradford fixes her sweater before sauntering over to Farkle like she owns the school. Sometime between tenth grade and oh my god why now Missy had come back for Farkle. Just like she promised once upon a time.

Farkle's surrounded by his tittering fan club who upon catching sight of the Queen Bee herself disperse, leaving only three people in the hallway.

Riley, Farkle, and Missy.

You roll your eyes as many times as you please, your locker door hiding your face. You're not spying, you really do need some things from your locker. Glittery gel pens are an absolute necessity when taking notes. When Missy asks Farkle over to her house to 'study' maybe you slam your locker a little harder than necessary. The sound makes Missy jump away from Farkle for a moment and maybe the smile that forms on your face isn't exactly nice but it's not like you care. But she's only startled for a moment, she shoots you a nasty glare before sinking her claws back into Farkle. The reverberating sound in the hallway causes Farkle's head to snap in your direction. You avert your eyes and walk away, not trusting yourself to fully disguise the jealousy you're feeling in that instant.

You don't see Farkle extract himself from Missy's grasp. You don't hear his footsteps chasing after you in the empty hallway. His feet just a couple of paces behind yours. You do however feel his warm hand close over your elbow pulling you to a gentle halt. You do smell his cologne, an expensive mix of sandalwood, the spicy fragrance overpowering your senses.

Shrugging out of his grasp you take a few steps back, stepping into the fresh scent of dirty socks and jockstraps. You sure do miss Janitor Harley right about now. Once you're out of his intoxicating radius you give him your best annoyed look. You are annoyed. You're annoyed at Missy, annoyed at the fact that you care, annoyed at the fact that it had to happen now, the exact moment you came to a realization.

"What?" You snap.

He's a little taken aback at your reaction but forges on nonetheless.

"I was just wondering if you were okay."

"I'm fine." You snap again, needing to remove yourself from this conversation, from this concern that makes your heart flutter and your stomach churn.

He's starting to look a little annoyed and you can't really blame him, you're not exactly being nice right now.

"Okay then...I just thought—"

You cut him off, "Don't think, it's not you." The words Maya said so long ago slipping easily off your tongue. You remember how quick he had come to your defense against those two boys. That's why it hurts now. Somewhere along the way you became 'the other one.'

He blinks dumbly at you as if trying to figure out if you really just said that to him, Farkle Minkus, boy genius.

"Okay seriously," He shakes his head taking another step forward, you take a step back. "Are you mad at me?"

You don't say anything, instead you focus on the tips of your shoe lace.

"What did I do?"

You still don't answer, he didn't do anything but make you fall in love with him. It's not like you can fault him for that. The only one to blame here is you.

"You know what," Farkle holds his hands up in surrender, "I give up. See you tomorrow." He says crossly, stalking down the hallway. Away from you and closer to her.

"That's right," you mutter as he walks away, "go back to Missy."

Except you don't expect him to hear you. You also don't expect him to turn around, your words causing all the pieces to fall into place.

"I get it now." He comes to a stop in front of you.

"Get what?" You ask, his face is suddenly full of an understanding that you don't understand.

"You're jealous." He says as he advances on you.

"No I'm not," You deny, retreating from him. Your back hits the lockers leaving you with nowhere to go.

"Yes you are." He insists, resting his well-toned arm above your head. The scent you'd been trying so hard to avoid washing over you again.

"No." You say with clenched fists, "I'm not."

"I don't believe you," he states, a smug smile on his face. "Your whole body is tense, your fists are clenched." He grabs your hand, lifting it up between the both of you. Your fingers slowly unravel under his touch, goosebumps forming up and down your arms. "And," He continues completely unaware of the direction your thoughts are beginning to stray, "your breathing has picked up. A clear sign of agitation." He whispers, leaning forward, his lips close enough for you to see that he's been chewing them lately. A habit that's reserved for pensive thoughts.

Without warning you crash your lips onto his. He lets out a squeak that merits a smile because this is your Farkle. Not rich, flirty Farkle. No, this is the sweet boy who saved your life all those years ago. And then he's pushing you up against the lockers, the hand that's grasping your waist keeps you from floating away from the pure delight of finally being able to kiss Farkle.

He claims your lips as fiercely as you claim his. Your fists are almost white as you grip his jacket, he tastes of peppermint and spice, the mixture of flavors making your head spin. The sound of your bag hitting the ground is what finally snaps you out of your reverie and you finally notice what you've done. You quickly push him away. He stumbles back, a dazed look on his face.

You can't believe you just did that. You don't know what came over you. All of his teasing went to your head and your self-control was ripped to shreds. Farkle opens his mouth to speak but no words come out. Instead he gapes at you, all semblance of Mr. Cool gone the moment your lips touched his.

You stare at him a moment longer before snatching up your bag. Abruptly you turn on your heel leaving him standing in the hall, his mussed hair and swollen lips matching yours. There's only one thing you're sure of as you speed walk/run away your steps in time with your rapidly beating heart. And it's the fact that you just royally fucked up.