Scene 5

It had been a long day playing the part of a student, and Eleanor was prolonging it as she stacked her questions to a busy Bo.

Pulling free the tongs on her last curl, Bo continued to explain to her friend, "She basically told me it is my fault if I don't reach the potential she knows I'm capable of."

"She's right."

"No, she's not. How does she know what I'm capable of? Freshman year was spent learning what everyone else had done—I've shown her nothing of what I can do, yet. She's making expectations because of whom my parents are, not of whom I am."

Eleanor picked up the can of hairspray like a weapon. "Eyes."

Bo covered her eyes and let her go crazy with the spray.

"She saw your reel from high school, Bo. She knows you're good," Eleanor said amongst the cloud.

"That was high school shit."

"And compared to other high school shit, it was amazing. You're going to show her you can get there, and better. You're going to blow her away. I mean, you're going to at least try, right?"

"I have to. It's worth half my grade."

"Yikes."

"I know." Bo stood from her dresser and scrunched up her hair, messying the curls so they matched her smoky eyes and huge hooped earrings. "I'm going to get changed."

"'Kay. I'm going to make another batch of margaritas."

Bo knew what she was going to wear. As standard she didn't plan her outfits—her wardrobe was a collection of denim and plain t-shirts that could be mix-and-matched with little thought—but tonight, she wanted to surprise Xander. She would definitely surprise Xander.

She was zipping up her boots when Eleanor returned with cocktails in each hand. They almost ended up on the floor by the force of her shock. "What the hell are you wearing?"

Bo laughed. "What? Don't you like it?"

"It's...it's different."

Bo smoothed her hands over her bare midriff. "Good different or bad different?" She wasn't self-conscious of her body—she was naturally skinny and happy at that—but she was self-conscious about showing it off, and sucked her tummy in to prove it.

"Stop it, you look great! It's just not very you."

Eleanor was right. The clothes were all part of Bo's wardrobe, yes, but styling them this way was a little extreme for her tastes. She wore red leather jeans, leopard-print boots and a makeshift fishnet crop top with long sleeves worn over a black bandeau bra. Once outside, she'd cover up in a black faux fur coat.

She was channeling her inner Mimi.

"Good. Not very me is exactly the look I'm going for."

Eleanor spoke with the straw of her margarita in her mouth, wide-eyed. "You're going to get a lot of attention tonight. Will Xander approve of your look?"

Swiping one of the drinks from her gawping friend, Bo replied with a forced smile, "He better."

The drive to the bar took only ten minutes and got the friends in the party mood. Fuelled by poorly made margaritas, they begged the taxi driver for decent music and got it in the form of Missy Elliot. Neither friend knew the words but that didn't stop them singing through the music. The wet night didn't deter the young crowds and the closer they got downtown the busier it seemed. Bars were cashing in on the approaching holiday season, offering 'merry' discounts and boasting festive themed nights. The girls lost count of the many Santas they saw scattered through the street, but it was enough.