Scene 13

"Why have I got to be the one to do this?" Bo asked as Eleanor readjusted the strap around her head. Her duties as best friend had been called upon and she was currently stood in the middle of campus with a camera attached to her forehead. It was all in the name of Eleanor's film project. Love. The subject matter? Her boyfriend. "Shouldn't it be Charlie?"

"He's working all week."

Bo caught the disdain and asked, "How's he finding it?"

"Much to my annoyance, he's loving life. But, it's his first week of earning and I'm sure the novelty of working in a record shop will wear off soon. He has visions of himself being discovered one of the many times he's snuck his own EP onto the store's playlist. He's deluded. It's so pathetic it's almost cute."

"As long as he's happy."

"He's only happy because he's back living with his parents and he doesn't have to lift a finger or pay any rent. What about when he's got to pay for his own place, his own life? Or when he's thirty and still trying to make it." Eleanor succeeded in adjusting the camera and fell back on to her heels.

"He could easily be one of the lucky ones that gets picked up," Bo assured her. "They are really good, Ellie."

"I know, I know," she replied with a forced smile. "I watched them practice last night, actually. They've got a new song that's just amazing."

"Was Xander there?" Bo didn't like to ask. She'd actually not been as bothered by the break up as she'd expected to be. Perhaps because she had the distraction of Roderick. Or perhaps because she just wasn't as into her ex as she'd had herself believe.

"Yeah. He asked about you."

"What did you tell him?"

"I called him names that would make this..." She flicked the camera atop Bo's head. "...R rated. Extremely."

Bo held up her hand and they shared a high five.

"So," Bo began with a little more enthusiasm. Her friend had looked out for her and now it was her turn to repay the kindness, even if it made her look like a fool. "Explain what we're doing here exactly."

"Okay, so I'm trying to reconstruct the moment when Charlie and I first met. He said that he saw me from all the way across the court and it was like..." Eleanor stopped and wrinkled her nose. "This is equal measures of sweet and cringe. He said it was like I was lit up and everyone else was in the dark."

"That's like twenty per cent sweet and eighty per cent cringe."

"Whatever." Eleanor smacked her shoulder. "All I need you to do is walk toward me. I'm going to start from over there and do the same."

"Okay, fine," she relented. "I just don't understand why I can't hold the camera instead."

"Because it's got to give the effect of his height and that he's walking. Make sure you to take 'man' strides, but slow, you know?"

"Yes, go." She pushed her. "Let's get this over with."

"Okay, give me a minute to get over there."

Bo nodded then waited as her friend rushed away. She'd dressed cute in a little floaty skirt that danced when she walked. Her hair was perfectly curled and her make-up ready for her close-up. Bo, on the other hand was dressed in sweatpants and a Star Wars t-shirt, ready to go home and slouch on the couch.

In the distance, she saw Eleanor wave her arm in the air, her cue to walk. She did so ignoring the funny looks around her and slowly enough to be aesthetically pleasing on camera. She could imagine the finished product and she found herself proud of her friend. It may have been cheesy to choose her boyfriend for her project, but it worked. Eleanor and Charlie were movie love. It was fitting. And very hard not to be jealous of.

Bo noticed him in her periphery first. It was a conscious effort not to move her head to him, not to succumb to her need to see him fully. There was little need for her strength though because Roderick was happy to interrupt the shot, even if she couldn't.

"Hey," he said, practically jumping into view. "What's happening here? Is this the latest fashion accessory or are you just finding more ingenious ways to stalk me?"

Bo stood taller. "No, it's for Ellie's assignment. Long story."

"Well, I'd love to hear it but I've got to get to work. Someone's called in sick at the bar and I've got to cover. I'm glad I bumped into you though, saves me running by yours." He opened his bag and pulled out a book. "You said it was one of your favorite movies but you haven't read the book."

He held out a bright copy of A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. Bo ran a hand over the cover. An original. "Is it yours?"

"Nah, mine's a little worse for wear. This is from the library, and I took it out on my account so, you know, I trust you to get it back on time. No late fees."

Bo beamed. "I will."

"Great."

"Will I see you tonight?"

He pouted. "I'm working until late. I'll text you later, yeah?"

Bo nodded, unreasonably disappointed.

"You look smoking hot by the way," he called as he backed away, looking her up and down. Bo was thankful that he was dressed down, too, although he looked far better for it than she.

"Shut up."

"No, seriously," he laughed. "It's weird how true that is. Sweatpants do it for me, apparently." He was still walking backwards when he bumped into something. Someone. "Oh! Hey, Ellie. Bye, Ellie." He laughed to himself, ran a hand down his face, rid his unusual embarrassment. "Bye, Bodacia."

"Bodacia?" Eleanor repeated in his wake.

"Don't ask," Bo shook her head. "Shall we go again?"