Part 9 - Ralph

The door to the lab opened, and a woman in a white coat looked in.

"Claudio?" she said.

"Yes, what is it?"

"There's some security personnel here, looking for... Commander Ralph Marker." She glanced at Ralph, then back at Claudio.

This is it, thought Ralph, getting up from his chair. He looked at Claudio. "Take care! I have to go," he said.

"See you on the other side!" answered Claudio.

"Yes, see you." Ralph nodded and left.

In the corridor, three people were waiting for him. Ralph recognized Charlene's dark features. She was with two of her guards.

Pete was not with them. Good.

"Hi, Charlene," Ralph said.

"Commander," she answered. Her face and voice were neutral.

What would she want? Had Pete sent her?

"What can I do for you?"

"The Captain has asked me to locate you." 

"Have you already told him where I am?" A pang of panic knotted his stomach.

"I have reported it to him one minute ago."

"Okay." He nodded.

She was just following orders. But now he was the one to give them.

"Listen," he said. "While I am in command, you and your people stop tracking me. Understood?"

She hesitated, then she nodded. "Understood. Commander."

"Fine. Stay here." Ralph turned and walked away. He felt Charlene's and her guards' gaze on his back, and his muscles tensed in response.

He could have ordered her to arrest Pete. He had considered this option while he was forging his plans. But, even though Pete was a moron, he did not deserve arrest by his own security staff.

Pete was bound to be on his way to the labs, Ralph was sure. He had to get away, to find a place for hiding until all of this was completed. Until they had landed.

He reached a stairway leading upwards, towards Hope's axis of rotation. Ascending the worn steps, he realized that gravity had noticeably dwindled.