Chapter One

I stare at the sheet of paper in front of me, my handwriting all sloppy, words crossed out and lead marks where the words smeared. "I'm in love with you, and all these little things..." I trailed on, smiling to myself. The song that I have been working on for 3 months finally sounded perfect. I flipped back to the first page of the song, starting to hum to the words as my bedroom door flung open.

I immediately threw my folder onto the sheet of music, clenching my fists. "Mother, don't I tell you to knock before you come into my room!"

"Its me, you dork." I heard another voice say. I turn around to see my older sister Gemma in the doorway to my room, her long brown hair pulled back in a ponytail, and she was wearing her jogging outfit.

"Oh, sorry. I thought you were mum. She always barges into my room without knocking." I mutter, pushing my glasses higher onto my nose.

Gemma smiles a bit, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "She does that to me too. Annoying, isn't it?"

I nod in approval. "I would like it if you knock before you enter too, please."

"Whatever." She shrugs, looking to the folder on my desk behind me. "What do you have there?"

"Huh? What? Um, nothing. Just vocabulary." I said, my eyes glancing to the folder protecting my songs behind me.

"Sure it is." She laughed, leaning against the doorframe. "Anyway, mum wanted me to tell you wash up, its time for dinner.

I nod. "Ok. I will be down in a minute."

"Alright." Gemma said, looking at the folder one last time before leaving my room, closing the door behind her. I sigh as the door closes, turning back to my desk and taking the folder of my latest song.

"Little Things.." I mummer, smiling once more while looking at the piece of paper. I shove it into my folder with the rest of my finished songs and get up to go was up for dinner.

I walk into my bathroom, staring at myself in the full-length mirror on the back of the bathroom door. I was wearing a white T-shirt and khakis, my thick glasses laying on my face. My hair was still slightly slicked back from school earlier today, but was a little bit messy. Oh well, I am only going to be with my family.

As I open the door and head down the stairs, the aroma of roast beef in the cooker. I hear the chatter of my mum and Gemma, my step-dad Robin grunting in agreement here and there. I walk into the kitchen, Gemma stacking a pile of mashed potatoes onto her plate. "Grab a plate, Harry." Mum says from her spot in the dining room, her dish already made.

I grabbed a plate, putting a little bit of roast beef, mashed potatoes, and green beans onto it. "It smells good, mum." I say, putting the plate down on my seat next to Gemma.

A smile appears on my mothers face. "Thanks, Haz. How was school?"

"Good. I got an A on the anatomy quiz." I grin, taking a sip of water.

"Really? Thats great!" Robin says, looking up from the newspaper article he was reading.

Mum nods in agreement. "Very good! I'm proud of you, love. How was University for you, Gemma?"

Gemma hesitates for a bit, slowly chewing her green beans. "Um, alright I guess. I got a B on the math test. I thought I did better."

"Thats alright, honey. You did your best." Mum smiles, scrapping the little bit of potato left on her plate.

There was an awkward silence for a while, until Robin spoke up. "Look at this. A big dentist from London is moving to town. Derek Daniels."

"Huh," Mum said. "I wonder why he is moving to Holmes Chapel."