CHAPTER EIGHT- WE CAN'T TAKE CHANCES

Jackson had been out for 1 day now. So far, it was going good. John, Luke, and I were starting to head out to find food and weapons. What if we saw another letter from Joe? I still hadn't told John about the letters from Joe. I heard the car start and I quickly got in it. "You wanna visit Emily?" John asked. "Yeah..." I said when I just remembered that last time we were there we found out about grave grabbers. We drove past the building that I saw the person in. I tried to look in the building but John was blocking the view. "Guys, someone's in that window... They have a gun pointed at us." Luke said to us. "... I saw them last time..." I said to him. "We just have to ignore it, we don't want to mess with other people." I said. "But what if they need help, what if they are just trying to survive like us..." Luke said to me. I turned around and looked at him. "We can't take those chances." I said.

John parked the car in the graveyard. I looked to see that the ground had been pulled apart from where the grave grabber came out. "What's that?" Luke asked. "...a grave grabber..." I said as I walked away from them and started heading towards Emily's grave. "It's been about two weeks... We've made it this far, I'm surprised. Charlotte misses you... She hasn't been the same without you, Emily. I'm sorry, I wish I didn't suck at being a dad when you were still alive." I said quietly to Emily. "I just--" I started but then heard the noise of a riser coming towards me. I looked back down to see John explaining the grave grabbers to Luke. I walked over to the riser. I looked at the riser. It's body was covered in dirt. It had to have been a grave grabber. I pulled the trigger and I watched the riser fall to the ground. John and Luke looked up to see what was going on. "It's fine..." I said.

I walked back down to them. "I guess a few risers from the pack stayed here." John said. "...Yeah" I said as I looked off into the distance to see a riser walking through the graveyard. "Let's get going... I don't wanna stay here any longer." I said to them. We all got into the car and drove away. I saw Luke looking out the window at the tree that Emily was buried under.

About 5 minutes later we parked outside of a shop. There were risers on the inside of the shop, they were trying to break out of the glass windows. "I'm just wondering what happened to all the people..." John said. "This town has always been full of people, it's just impossible that we haven't run into a huge pack of them yet." John said. "I'm sure they are around here somewhere, just waiting for us to come to them." I said. I looked up at the store's sign that read "Odessa Convenience Shop". There should be lots of things in here that we could use. There could be food and maybe even weapons. I walked over to the front of the door and got ready to open it. I thought about the old me. He would never have made it 2 weeks into the apocalypse.

"I'm gonna open the door and when I do, I want you two to shoot the risers in the head. There's a lot of them in there." I said as I put my hand on the door knob. "Dad, are you sure?" Luke asked. I thought about it for a minute. "I'm sure..." I said. I looked at the faces of the risers in the window. I bet they were all trying to get to a safe place for shelter, but they must have all ended up dying in here. I looked at the face of one of them. They had white eyes with no pupil or color. Their skin was a grey-copper tone. Their hair was bloody and greasy. "You ready, Aaron?" I heard John ask. "I'm ready." I said as I opened the door and the risers came running out.

I backed up and started shooting as many as I could. There were so many of them, they seemed to be coming from the left and the right. "Stay close." I said as I got closer to John and Luke. I looked behind me to see the greatest amount of risers I had ever seen. "No! We have to go!" I yelled. I saw John's eyes widen with fear as he saw all the risers that were starting to surround us. The risers were blocking us on all ends. We couldn't get out. We were trapped.