Chapter 3: Keeping Calm

Annika's POV

"Annika, honey. Wake up."

I woke up to the sound of my mother's voice. I slowly opened my eyes and stretch out before smiling and saying good morning to my mom. I saw her smile before greeting me back.

"Where's Rosa ma? Why didn't she wake me up?"

"I told her that I'll wake you up instead, she's inside your walk in closet. Anyway I'm here to tell you that we will be meeting Christian Gonzales later after your school,"

Right. The merger, how can I forget.

I nodded before saying, "Okay." In a clipped tone.

Mom stood up before telling me, "I'll go back to your father's office now, swing by and say your goodbyes to us before leaving. Okay?" then she walked out my door.

Standing up, I went to grab my phone on my bedside table to check the time it reads, 6:35am. Shocked that I overslept for 20mins, I immediately run to the bathroom to start my morning routine.

After putting on my make-up and checking my whole appearance, I checked the time in my phone it reads, 7:20am. I told myself that I will just eat my breakfast inside the car, I grabbed my bag and headed to my father's office to say goodbye.

I am now inside the master's bedroom, five steps from where I am standing is my dad's office. The door is not completely closed and from where I am, I can hear that my mom and dad is on a conference call with someone, a man I don't know. I would have barged in but I know better not to interrupt them whenever my parents are in a business meeting. I didn't want to eavesdrop but the man caught my attention by saying,

"What about the merger? Did Christian Gonzales signed the contract already?"

"Not yet, but he will. Soon. Trust me, Andy." My dad replied

"You have three more months, Frederick. You know that this is your last chance to save half of the share in your company or else, I will be your newest business partner."

"That won't happen, Andy. Mr. Gonzales will sign the contract and the merger will take place." My mom retaliated

"Oh don't be so sure, Francine. We both know that when you two proposed me that deal, you needed my money so bad and soon you will need to pay up, but as of right now I can still sense that you still need my money."

"We will pay, soon. Don't worry about it. Goodbye for now." My dad said in a clipped tone.

And then I heard the call ended. To say that I was shock was an understatement. I was just there, frozen on my spot. My head started throbbing and I felt sick, I reminded myself to breathe in and breathe out, after a minute I decided to make my way to my father's office, I knocked three times and then I heard my dad telling me to come in.

Once inside the room, I saw my mom checking the accounts of our company while my dad is holding a paper that looks like a graph report. Both of them were too hooked to what they are doing, they didn't even bother looking up to see me. I stared at my dad's exhausted eye before clearing my throat, making my presence known to both of them. My parents immediately gave their attention to me.

Mom said, "Oh hey honey, you're leaving?"

I just nodded, I still feel sick. I don't know what to feel, I am so confused with what I just heard a while ago. Dad studied me before saying,

"You don't look fine, Annika. Are you okay?"

No, I am not okay, please tell me what is happening.