Chapter 4: The incident

The awkward silence still remains between us. It's like we are almost hoping the bell would shriek any time soon. I repeatedly tap on the rotted away bench with my blue tinted fingernails. Most days were like this. Tension builds up more and more each day. Should i find new friends? But the problem is not many snobs are easily accepting in this school. People will just turn there nose right up at me. It's best to stick with these guys cause lets face it, there the best i'm ever going to get.

Shortly after the death striking silence the bell finally bellowed it jingly melody, making me raise up from my seat that I felt forcefully glue to this whole hour.

"Elixir i forgot to tell you, there is a party this Saturday . Would you like to hang?" Megan mentioned quickly, twisting her hair around her finger.

At first I hesitated but I might actually enjoy it.

" Um, yeah sure, where?" I replied.

"Just meet me at my house at 8 o clock, i'll lead the way". I nod in agreement. I pull out my tattered time table out of my trouser pocket and run my eyes through to find my next lesson.

" Elixir don't you remember you have science?" They all giggled slightly so i decided to join in. We all head in different directions whilst waving goodbye. I join Kate's side as we enter the dreadful corridors once again. I attempt to keep my mouth shut knowing I wouldn't get a response from Kate. Sometimes I want to communicate with her, but really whats the point if she doesn't answer. I fiddle around with my fingers as I continue to walk at a steady pace. Then turning a sharp corner, we reach our science class.

Everyone was sitting there as bored as usual, ugh I actually can't be bothered with this lesson today. I rush in to take my seat at the back near the open window. The best part about being at the back is you hardly get picked to answer questions plus, the fresh air is the best feeling against my neck on them sunny days. I search the room with my blue eyes to come across Bunsen burner equipment. Yep, I knew it. Were doing a practical. Don't get me wrong, I love practicals but not when you have the terrible dangers ahead of you. I wouldn't be this worried if kaleb wasn't in my class. His death glares could make my blood spurt out in seconds. I soon begin writing to take my mind off things.

"Right class, get out of your seats and grab a Bunsen burner" Mr Richards told us. I do what he said and get a Bunsen burner. slowly, I read through the instructions on the board. I manged to turn it on after a few tries. 

Suddenly, my ear drums officially burst as red lights flashed like a spectrum. my head snapped towards Lola's  Bunsen burner. knowing her clumsiness, she set the room on fire! roaring flames rise up escalating from desk to desk and other miscellaneous objects. Strikes of heat flare off and hit me like sunstroke, it is unbearably hot on my skin. Screams and cries fill up the confined room just like the carbon dioxide. Everyone runs toward the exit. I now hate my seat. The back is definitely great for fires. There is no way I would make it out that window.  I finally make it to the door but to be stopped by that thing standing in my way, forcing the door shut behind him.

"kaleb what is wrong with you? get out my way!!" I screamed from the top of my lungs. Not that it matters to him. I witness as he pulls a twisted smile.

"Your not going anywhere. you belong here" His words hit me where it hurts most. Tears stream down my face.

The heat is getting to my head. I fall to the warm floor in defeat and crawl to the door. Instantly, he grabs my feet dragging me backwards as im vigorously scratching the door with my nails. I heard that disturbing laugh again making me sick to the stomach. I hear him slam the door shut. I am too weak to get back up. Sweat drips down my temples mixing with my salty tears. I guess this is it. My vision blurs and the door wobbles. Is the fire pulling me to hell? I'm being dragged backwards. It can't be someone as all I can hear is the fire burning away. No one else was shut in. The fire is eating me alive. Pain fills my senses. My hair is pulled back in a sharp motion as I whimper. My eyes begin to close.