Breathless

Karamatsu, struggling for breath, holding his throat. God it hurts so much. "Help... Me..." He chokes out.

"Go to bed Kusomatsu." Osomatsu stirs, rubbing his eyes, not minding him. Karamatsu looks at him, desperatly hoping someone will help him. He looks up, into the soulless eyes of a transparent beast. He is afraid. Afraid of this... Thing. Why is this happening? Why him? He takes back the last thought. At least it IS him. Not one of his brothers. Choromatsu rubs his eyes, looking at Karamatsu. Suddenly the weight has lifted off of his throat and he gasps for air. Choromatsu looks at him worriedly.
This continues every night, he is woken up by this transparent beast. It is choking him. Is it trying to kill him? Every night it tortures him. And every night Choromatsu wakes up and the weight releases. Karamatsu is glad that he is a light sleeper.

One night Choromatsu does not wake up. And the wieght never lifts. Karamatsu is choking. "Help... Me.... Please..." But no one comes. His brothers, sleeping peacefully while he is being tortured. Tears streaming down his face. He reaches towards Choromatsu, tempted to shake him awake. But he doesn't.

He takes his last, painful breath.

And then he is gone.

His brothers wake up. They gather at the table for a cheap breakfast. "Go wake him up Jyushimatsu." Osomatsu says, pointing to the bedroom.

"Yessir!" He runs into the bedroom, pulling the sheets off of Karamatsu. "Karamatsu nii-san! Rise and shine!" His smile fades. "Nii-san?". He touches his arm softly. It's cold. He looks back at Karamatsu. One of his hands is around his neck and the other is reached out on the ground. Jyushimatsu's eyes widen. He turns him over and puts his ear against his chest. His eyes water as he touches Karamatsu's face softly. "Nii-san?". Tears overflow.
"Jyushimatsu nii-san? What's wrong?" Todomatsu walks in. He sees Jyushimatsu in a heap on the ground, stroking Karamatsu's cheek. "Jyushimatsu is something the matter?" Jyushimatsu turns his head, tears streaming down his face. "Jyushimatsu?! What's wrong?!" By now the other brothers had run in, due to the commotion.
Choromatsu steps forward. "What's going on?!"
"Karamatsu..." Jyushimatsu starts.
"Oh. It's just Shittymatsu. Jyushimatsu don't wo--" Ichimatsu is interrupted.
"He's gone..." The room is silent.
"W-what?" Osomatsu chokes out.
"He's... Dead... He doesn't have a heartbeat..." Choromatsu's eyes widen and he rushes to Karamatsu's side. He puts an ear to his chest and breaths in sharply.
"It's... True..." His eyes start watering and he brings his hands to his face. Todomatsu starts shaking and Ichimatsu stands there, shocked. Osomatsu walks towards Karamatsu and puts a hand to his shoulder.
"He's so cold..." Tears threatening to spill, he wipes his eyes. Todomatsu holds onto Ichimatsu. Ichimatsu's eyes start to water as he bites his lip. The brothers suddenly feel so much more empty. What in the world had happened?