Chapter Two

True to her word, the door bell rang five minutes later.

Danni walked in, handing me a packet of salted pretzels and asked the dreaded question.

"What did you do?"

So we walked up the marble steps to my room and sat down on the mat and I told her the story.

"I was going to get a blueberry muffin, right... because it's almost that time of the month and you know how I get when the cravings hits, you know, almost like this madness inside of you that just wants to eat you alive. Which come to think of it is probably why I've been so hormonal lately, you know last month I spilt some diet coke on my socks and I cried for 5 minutes straight so I can suppose anyone really-"

"-Zahira..." she cut me off.

"Oh yes, sorry, the story."

I grabbed a handful of pretzels and began chomping down on them while continuing.

"So then Miguel's there and he's all moody and brooding and I'm just all hormonal so I'm not-"

"-Wait slow down. Who's Miguel?"

"That's what I'm trying to tell you."

So Danni sighed and grabbed the packet of pretzels in my hand.

"Ok, pumpkin, breathe. Then startover from the muffin. What happened when you went to get a muffin?"

"Cool. So I see this really hot guy sitting by himself and being mysterious and I go over and I flirt with him, I just had my hair straightened, I'm feeling like a bit of a risk taker y'know?"

Danni waved off my remarks and made a circular motion with her hands for me to continue.

"So anyway, I go over and I talk to him and he's rude at first but then I get him to slowly open up and at one point he even laughs! Hah!"

Danni stared blankly at me.

"Anyways so I was walking out singing Away In a Manger, top of my lungs and voila! right before my eyes, appears my future huaband."

"And then what?"

"And then in a fit of verbal diarrhea, I said 'Hey there, gorgeous.'"

Danni stared wide eyed at me before laughing carelessly.

"Wow. You are something," she says, handing me back my pretzels.

---

The next morning I yawn groggily as I wipe sleep from my eye.

What's the time?

The 09:45 from my bedside clock flared the words in my face.

My mom should be leaving for work soon, and I want to say bye.

I got to the bathroom and quickly rinsed my mouth with mouthwash before tying my hair and walking downstairs in my "AMSTERDAM" large tee and Superman boxers.

I saw my mom perched elegantly at the kichen counter and I gave her a big kiss on the cheek before moving to make some cereal.

"So Danni here tells me that you called her over in hysterics over some boy you met at the coffee shop," my mom said. Her sandy brown eyes gazing at me over the steam from her boiling hot black coffee.