Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Come on, Sherlock!"
"No."
"You already said you would."
"I changed my mind."
John sighed, "Are you always this stubborn?"
"Yes."
John rubbed his eyes, "If you don't get into the water I'll pull you in."
Sherlock crossed his arms, "No."
"Seriously. You said you wanted to learn how to swim so you could help me!"
"And I still want to help you, but I'm not getting into that god damned water."
"Suit yourself." John swam under water and grabbed Sherlock's legs, pulling him onto his back.
"John!" Sherlock yelped as he wrapped his arm tightly around the other boy's waist,
"I'm not even wearing my swim trunks! I'm in my suit!" He complained.
"You'll dry off." John said smiling. He swam over to the small bay, keeping Sherlock above water.
"This was my favorite shirt..." He mumbled under his breath, which John ignored.
The merman let Sherlock onto the shore, who was soaking wet. He shook his wet hair which made it look fluffy.
John laughed, "You're cute when you're mad."
Sherlock just rolled his eyes and took off his jacket and shirt, laying them down to dry. He came into 3 inches of the water and sat down, crossing his arms.
"Come on, Sherly. Get in the water!"
"I am. And don't call me Sherly."
John sighed and swam up next to the taller boy.
"Please?" He gave him his best puppy-dog eyes,
"For me?" John tilted his head a bit to the side.
Sherlock kept his face emotionless, well, tried to.
'God, look at that face.' He thought. Sherlock sighed,
"Alright, fine. But don't expect me to give in every time you look at me like that."
They smiled at each other and quickly kissed. It was soft, gentle, and sweet. John took Sherlock's hand and tugged him deeper into the water. Sherlock shivered,
"How do you live in here? The water practically turns to ice at this time of night."
John shrugged, "I'm just like any other fish, I guess. It just doesn't affect me."
They swam until Sherlock's shoulders were underwater.
"Nope. I'm not going any further. No."
"Come on! Just over to the rock, you can do it."
"I don't understand why I need to know how to swim to coach you. Our rugby coach is at least 200 pounds and all he does is yell at people."
John sighed, "You talk too much, you know that?"
"I have been regularly informed."
John shook his head, "You're such a child." He said under his breath,
"Okay, now, just move your arms and legs and try to follow me." John let go of Sherlock's hands and slowly started to swim away, keeping eye contact. The other boy moved his arms and kicked his legs.
"Like that?"
"Yes! Now just swim over to the rock."
"No! That's too far!"
"Just trust me, you can do it." John encouraged as he swam over to the large rock sticking out of the water. He pulled himself up onto the top and laid on his stomach, looking down at Sherlock.
"John!"
"It's okay! I won't let you drown."
Sherlock continued to swim, trusting John. Once he got closer the merman reached out his hand.
"Almost there!" He said with a smile.
Sherlock reached out his hand and took John's. John pulled him up onto the rock and sat him next to himself.
"You see? It wasn't that bad! You did great." He tangled his finger's with the taller boy's.
"I guess I did." Sherlock gave a small smile. He laid down on his back and looked up at the night sky, and John did the same.
They laid there hand-in-hand in peaceful silence for what seemed like hours. The merman leaned his head against the human's shoulder and closed his eyes, not wanting the moment to end.
Sherlock looked down at John and a smile slowly spread across his lips. No one ever got this close to him, no one ever looked at him like John did. Of course there had been a couple girls and boys who had found him attractive, but none of them actually liked him. They would be afraid of him, call him names, get nervous whenever he was around. Like he wasn't even human.
But John looked at him like he was the most amazing thing he had ever seen. He thought he was a genius, he actually complemented him. Sherlock hardly ever got a nice 'hello'.
Sherlock thought about what he was helping John do.
/"If I stay here any longer, I'll die."/ he remembered the merman telling him. He was like a shark; he had to swim forward to survive.
He thought about what would happen if John stayed here with him.
/"Compared to my brothers and sisters, I'm just a baby. In a couple years I'll start growing shark-like teeth, sharp fins, and a craving for blood. We need those things to survive, I can't do anything to stop it."/ John had said. Sherlock wanted John to stay with him forever, he wanted them to be together forever. But of course that couldn't happen, John needed to get out of the lake soon or he would die.
Sherlock slid an arm around John's waist and pulled him in closer,
"John?" He whispered.
John hummed in response.
"When you leave and you go live out in the ocean... Promise me something."
"Anything." John replied.
Sherlock took a deep breath, "Please don't ever forget me."
John opened his eyes and looked up at Sherlock,
"How could I ever forget you?" He cupped his pale face in his hand. Sherlock put his hand on his,
"Please, just promise you won't."
John stared at him, "I promise. I'll never forget you Sherlock Holmes."
Sherlock pulled John into a slow chaste kiss. They wrapped their arms around each other and swirled their tongues with each others, as if sealing the promise.
After a while they broke apart and just held each other, foreheads together.
Three words were running through Sherlock's head, and they absolutely terrified him. His brother always told him the caring was not an advantage, and he believed him. All his life he thought he was a sociopath; a man without feelings.
But no, three little words still swam through his mind.
'I love you.'
Well that isn't good at all, now us it?

__________________________
Aaaaaaaaaand there you go.
SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO FINISH!!
The drama director at this high school asked me to cone audition for the play It's a Wonderful Life and yeah I've been busy practicing because that is one if my favorite movies of all time and it would just be a HUGE honor to be in it.
ANYWAY hope you liked this chapter! So many otp feelssss.
Oh and FYI this fanfic is going to be heartbreaking in many ways
THANK YOU GOOD NIGHT *backflips into time vortex*
-JM