5. Marcel, you ARE a girl

Marcel's POV:

I hadn't ever told anyone I could sing. And for what reason? To be told I was gay? That I sucked? I found no good purpose to ever tell anyone. Until today.

Riley sat with her mouth slightly agape before a small smile crept its way onto her lips. "You can sing?"

"W-well, I- erm, uh-I l-like to.. Somet-times," I hardly choked out.

"Oh my god Marcel! Sing me something!" She insisted excitedly.

I blushed and examined my fingers. What have you gotten yourself into Marcel? I can't sing in front of Riley! I'll lose my breath and choke!

"M-maybe another t-time?"

"Nooo! Now! Please?" She masked herself with her best pouty face and I broke.

"Uh-okay, w-what should I d-do?"

"Anything. Your favourite song," she encouraged.

My favourite song, huh? Well now I'll sound like a girl.

"It's a b-bit g-girly," I warned her.

"I don't care! Go for it!"

I took a deep breath and studied the floor tiles.

"Settle down with me,

Cover me up,

Cuddle me in,

Lie down with me and

Hold me in your arms

When your heart's against my chest,

Your lips pressed to my neck,

I'm falling for your eyes, but they don't know me yet..."

I kept singing and cautiously looked up. Her hand was covering her mouth and her eyes were wide.

Well great. She thinks you're terrible.

It wasn't till I looked closer that I saw tears brimming at the base of her eyelids. Was it possible she really liked it? I grinned and kept going.

"Kiss me like you wanna be loved,

Wanna be loved,

Wanna be loved,

This feels like falling in love,

Falling in love,

Falling in love," I trailed off and she removed her hand from her mouth to speak.

"Come here, I need to hug you!" She said seriously through giggles.

I grinned larger than I think I ever had and shyly walked over to her. She flung her arms around me and fanned her face. "Jesus Marcel, that was stunning! I'm gonna cry!"

I held her small frame in my long arms, and although I had a naturally awkward physique, I actually felt right for the first time. She didn't pull away and neither did I. I never wanted to.

She began to pull away and I, despite my inner longing, allowed her to. She pressed a quick peck to my cheek and sat back down. My heart was ramming in my chest.

God Marcel, you ARE a girl.

I sat back down carefully, suddenly aware of her gaze.

"We should do that song," she concluded matter-of-factly.

"W-what? Everyone w-will make fun of m-me," I began to sweat. After a certain point even I knew that I couldn't argue with her.

"No they won't! Everyone loves Ed Sheeran, and besides, you sounded incredible," she assured me.