Chapter 10 (Juliette)

“With love’s light wings did I o’erperch these walls,

For stony limits cannot hold love out,

And what love can do, that dares love attempt.

Therefore thy kinsmen are no stop to me.”

(Romeo and Juliet, 2.2.66-69)

            I awoke to the sound of a familiar voice calling my name from my balcony. Sitting up, I rushed to the double French doors that opened onto my balcony, hair flying around me in disarray. Moonlight streamed through the curtains, and I pressed my nose against the door. My breath fogged up the glass, and I could just see the figure standing against the railing of my balcony. Without the slightest hesitation I threw open the doors and flung myself into Romayo’s open arms. “You’re here! Oh, how did you know where I lived?”

            He looked sheepish as he said, “Remember the night when I watched you stand on your balcony?" And when I appeared to indeed remember, Romayo said, "Friar Demarco told me about the extra security on the garden, so I decided I would come to you.” Romayo turned, looked up at the sky, and said, “God, I love Juliette. Please do me the honor and bless our love where our parents won’t.” Then he grasped my hand, bowed deeply, and kissed my palm.

            Both of us giggling, Romayo grabbed me and pulled me into his arms, kissing every part of my face and neck he could reach. “Oh Juliette! You are so beautiful.”

            “Say it again,” I whispered.

            “You are so beautiful,” Romayo replied obediently.

            “No, silly. The part where you said my name!”

            “Juliette, oh Juliette!” Laughing, I brushed a lock of his dark blond hair from his sapphire eyes and kissed him teasingly on the nose.

“My comrades and I are going to take you somewhere.”

            That piqued my interest enough to stop playing with his hair. “Where are we going?”

            “You are going to see Verona’s night life on my side of the great wall.” When he saw my skeptical look, he said, “Your mother will never have to know. Just go inside and tell her that you are going to sleep and that she shouldn’t disturb you.”

            “All right, don’t go away.” I kissed him once more, then retreated into my bedroom. My mother was in her study, going through papers like she always did after a long Council meeting. I stood there awkwardly, feeling guilt creep up and keep me from speaking right away. I never used to lie to my mother but now I seemed to be lying all the time. But that was a small price to pay for love, and I would have faked my death in order to be with Romayo forever.

            “Goodnight, mother. I am going to sleep now, for I am quite exhausted. Please do not disturb me until morning.”

            “Alright. Goodnight, Juliette. Sleep well.”

            Trying not to run, I made my way quickly upstairs to my bedroom. After closing and locking the door, I brushed the tangles out of my hair and changed into jeans and a peasant style blouse. Returning to the balcony, I embraced Romayo, and he kissed me gently on the cheek. An impatient noise came from below the balcony. “We are coming Mackezio!” called Romayo.

 He then proceeded to climb down the trellis next to my balcony. I followed close behind, and when I reached the ground I turned to see two handsome boys standing on either side of Romayo. “Juliette, this is my cousin, Benito.” Romayo referred to the blond haired boy that looked most like him.