Chapter 17 (Romayo)

“Well, Juliet, I will lie with thee tonight.

Let’s see for means. O mischief, thou art swift

To enter in the thoughts of desperate men!”

(Romeo and Juliet, 5.1.36-38)

            “Romayo, you cannot enter the city. You are wanted for murder. You will be caught, and then you will be tried and hung,” Benito stared at me with concern as I concentrated fiercely on the road ahead of me.

            “It matters not,” I say, impatiently waving away his concern. I’ll be dead by the time they find me anyway.

            “What are you talking about, ‘it matters not’?” Then sudden, horrible realization dawned on Benito’s face. “Oh Romayo, you can’t mean-“

            “Life is not worth living without Juliette.” I say simply, gritting my teeth. “You can either help me, or you can leave now. But you will not be stopping me. Give me your dagger to keep on my belt.”

            Wordlessly, Benito handed over the dagger, then reached into the glove compartment. He pulled out a miniscule clear bottle. “This poison will kill you in under a minute.”

            “Where did you get this?” I asked, shocked.

            He smiles grimly, “Well, let’s just say that I used to have some rather unpleasant friends.”

            I open my mouth to retort, then realize that I am in no decent position to be asking nosy questions. “Thank you, Benito.”

***

            When we reach Verona, I pull around to the wall closest to the church. A tree sits with its branches hanging lazily over the wall, and I shimmy up the trunk and drop over the top. Then, keeping to the shadows, I creep up around to the back door of the church, and slip inside. By this time it is nearly midnight, and everyone has cleared out. Even the nuns are off in their bedchambers in the adjoining building.

            Slipping between the pews towards the alter, I slow my pace. A coffin sits open, and I can see Juliette’s long chestnut hair spilling across the pillows inside. She is wearing a gorgeous white gown, and her delicate hands are clasped around a bouquet of roses. Someone, probably Sister Frella, has put the ring engraved with my initials back onto the ring finger of her right hand. I take that hand and kiss it tenderly.

            Tears have begun leaking silently down my cheeks again. “Maybe the feud makes since after all,” I whisper. “The first marriage after Romeo and Juliet’s tragedy is resulting in death too. Love is too perfect to be without consequences.” I leaned down and kissed Juliette on her rosy pink lips. I could almost feel her returning my kiss, almost hear her delightful laughter, almost see her smiling chocolate eyes.

            I began sobbing relentlessly again. Saltwater leaking from my eyes. It won’t stop. This is surely the first sign that one is falling apart. I lean my cheek against hers, and wrap my arms tenderly around her. This is it, I think. I am going to die now, and Juliette and I will live together in Heaven. I’m sorry father that we never got along. I’m sorry Mackezio that you had to die. I’m sorry Tybia that I killed you. I’m sorry Benito that I am stripping you of your cousin.

            Taking a deep breath, I sat up, uncorked the bottle, and pressed the glass to my lips.