10

10 – ANNA ISABEL LEE

Since the main entrance and exits have been blocked, I got permission to use the Fire Exit. The guys exchanged good – byes and I motioned them to follow me.

Before we can go down, I hear Mark oppa call me.

"Anna? How are you related to the directors of the hospital?"

I turn around, surprised. I saw the four of them looking on the display board and back at me.

Even Jackson oppa was subdued. "The directors Dr. Albert Lee and Dr. Inna Lee were among the victims of the Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370..." I put my finger to my mouth and turn my back on them. "I'll tell you about it when we get to my apartment."

I feel someone's hand on my head and I look up at Jinyoung oppa, who was looking sad and worried.

"I'm okay." He shakes his head and pulls me to him. "We're sorry, we didn't know..."

"It's not your fault. Now, we have to hurry." I gently shake him off. We go down and I see the car idling. A man in a white coat was leaning on it, taking a drag from a cigarette.

"That's bad for your health, you know."

"So these are your... friends. I heard what happened to you and Ernest Xavier."

"That's a thing of the past."

"Past 48 hours, you mean."

"Thanks for bringing the car here. I leave the others in your care."

He brushes his hair back and looks intently at the guys behind me. "Take care of yourself. I'll be stopping by later to bring you guys food." He gives me a hug and coolly walks away, throwing the cigarette in the bin.

"No need. I'll buy some. But take care of the ones who stayed behind, please." He raises his hand and waves, but doesn't look back.

We get in the car and I drive away just as we catch a glimpse of confused girls looking around. "The drive's still long. You guys can sleep for a while. I wish I can show you around, but your safety comes first."

"What's your story, Annabel? Why are you alone? Who was that man?" I detect an edge in Jinyoung oppa's voice when he asked the last question. Why's he getting mad?

I sigh and drive in silence for a while, collecting my thoughts. And then I begin.

"Two years ago, my parents went to Malaysia for a business trip. Uncle Eric, that guy we just met, was my dad's brother, and I decided to surprise them in China. We agreed to meet up in China, since his wife and his son were on the same flight as my parents. Only... if you watched the news, the flight never came. Months later... the plane was found wrecked... with no survivors. Uncle Eric shattered. He took to smoking and drinking, and even attempted to end his life multiple times. I had to step in and handle the hospital. Mom and Dad already trained me, but it was hard balancing being a student and being a director at 18. I decided to take Uncle Eric off duty for a while and took care of him as well. So that's basically the state where everything was shit." I see pity in their faces but I continue.

"Well, we got surprised alright. I was left with everything, but I lost my parents, my aunt and my cousin. Where's the fairness in that? That's why you guys need to leave. Everyone who becomes dear to me ends up gone. I'm cursed."

I half expected them to get down of the car or run away. When I turn to look at them however, I didn't expect Jackson's finger poking me.

"Ya. Ya. You don't have anything to worry about. I told you, didn't I? Our group is not known as normal. Curses don't apply to us." Jackson smiles brightly at me.

"But your flight... and Youngjae..."

"Youngjae was sick already. We made our choice and we chose to stay – For Junior and for Youngjae. If you were cursed, then we wouldn't be here living and breathing... You saved us, Annabel. You basically changed your fate. You're our blessing and we're eternally grateful for meeting you," Mark oppa said.

BamBam was nodding and smiling the whole time, and I feel Jinyoung oppa's hand on my shoulder.

"Let's make our last days count," he said, while looking forward.

When I heard that, I felt goosebumps rise and my blood run cold. It sounded ominous to me, somewhat.

Like Jinyoung oppa was leaving and not coming back.