Chapter 3

To be honest though, I wasn't that worried. We had our ups and downs, sure. But what great couple doesn't, you know? All I had to do was calm her down. Explain the situation, tell her how important she was to me, how good we were together. And how much our relationship meant...
    The next night I went to a party that Grace was at, to explain everything to her. I walked into the house, grabbed a flower from a nearby vase, and walked around trying to find her. Grace was sitting on the couch with a guy named Mark who goes to our school.
    "Austin, what are you doing here?" She asked me, embarrassment on her face. Why was she embarrassed? She should be happy that I'm doing this for her.
    "Ah Grace, that is a really pretty dress that you are wearing." I said awkwardly, for everyone in the room looked at me at that point. "It's god damn stunning, that dress. That dress."
    I pointed to her with the flower in my hand.
    "Thank you." She said plainly, looking annoyed.
    "Is he drunk or something?" Mark asked Grace.
    "Probably." She said back.
    "Well let's just say that if drunk equals A and then something else equals B, the answer's definitely not B." After all, I was drunk, I wasn't going to lie about it.
    "Austin," Grace tried to say.
    "Look man, I know this is awkward, okay maybe we should-" Mark started to say to me but Grace interrupted.
    "No, it's really not awkward. At all." She looked at me in a way that hinted she wanted me to go.
    "Oh my gosh, Mark West talking to me? What an honor man, what an-" Grace stood up and started to make her way toward me with Mark following her.
    "Look, I completely understand that you don't want to talk, so I guess you two have a nice evening." I finally said, giving up, and started to back out of the room.
    "Austin what happened here-" Mark started to ask.
    "Just let him go," Grace told him, "he drives better this way."
    "Thank you for that load of confidence, beautiful. You're a very understanding women, in everything but love. I love you" I said to her, making an exit as I always do. I lifted up my arms and dropped the flower to the ground, pointed at Grace as I gave her a wink, and made my way out of the house as fast as I could.
    Want hardship, misfortune? Well, there you go. Will I wallow in my misery? No, I won't, Dean of Admissions. I am Austin Green, and in the meantime, why should she be the only one having fun? It's a beautiful night outside, and I am just getting started...