CHAPTER 5

Maven lunged at Avlynn the next day at practice, his movement lightening fast. But Avlynn's block was even faster. Maven may think he's stealthy and lightening quick but he didn't know just how fast Avlynn truly is. The impact sent a jolt up Avlynn's arm, but she grunted past the pain. She went to jab at him again, but missed terribly and Maven took full advantage of it. He landed a blow on her shoulder which made her gasp at the pain, but she quickly recovered by spinning away from him.

They've been sparring for quite some time now, Maven was shocked that she'd managed to last this long and Avlynn wasn't about to give up anytime soon. Avlynn twisted in the other direction, ready to land a killing blow to his exposed rib cage.
But Maven knew she'd try to strike him there, he exposed himself purposely. He quickly parred her blow, catching her off guard and disarmed her. Before Avlynn knew it, Maven had her back pinned to his chest, his sword to her throat and her own sword pointed across her stomach. She was glad that they were only using wooden swords...else she would have been dead. A long time ago.

"And you were hesitant to take my offer for night training", Maven whispered into her neck.

"Shut up", Avlynn hissed and Maven quickly let her go.

She lifted her head up to the palace, her eyes catching a shadow of movement from one of the mirrors. At a quick glance, anyone would think that shadow as a mere servant and wouldn't think anything of it. But Avlynn knew that shadow and the way it proudly stood anywhere. Her mother was watching her. Her face blank and her body unmoving, as if she weren't even living; Avlynn couldn't even see her mothers chest riding. She tried not to shiver from the snake like feeling going up her spine.

Her mothers mouth moved softly but didn't turn to see who she was talking too.
Avlynn continued to hold her mothers stare until she waited for either a messenger to come or guards to get Avlynn and pull her away from her training.
Avlynn knew her mother all too well. She knew her mother had just requested her presence, after all, the queen had just watched her get her ass kicked.

Just as Maven was about to walk over and ask Avlynn to sparr with him once again, a messenger came running into the training ground.

"Princess Avlynn", the nervous messenger boy said and quickly bowed to the princess.
Maven didn't fail to notice that when the servant boy said princess Avlynn, he noticed that Avlynn tightened her grip on her wooden sword, her knuckles going white. Avlynn didn't like being called a princess in the training grounds.
"The Queen is requesting your presence".

"More like demanding it", Avlynn sighed and held out her sword for Maven to take.
When Maven came close enough to grab the sword, Avlynn whispered. "We're training tonight". And then left with the servant, off to see what kind of hell her mother has in store for her.

¥¥¥

Avlynn stepped into the same room her mother was just watching her from, the queen still looking out the window.

"Your grace", Avlynn said and couldn't decide whether or not to curtsy or bow. She was still in her sparring uniform, covered in dirt and sweat. But her mother had her back to her, so she didn't do either.

"You're terrible at sparring with these boys", the queen said bluntly. But Avlynn didn't expect anything less. But she didn't cower and she didn't sag her shoulders from the comment. Avlynn did nothing but shrug her shoulders.

"You know that, don't you", the queen said, it wasn't a question; it was a statement.

"Yes".

"You're good at sword fighting, your father wasn't lying about that". That must have been the closest thing to a complement Avlynn has ever gotten from her mother. "But these boys know what they are doing and they are destroying you".