Chapter 7: Isolation

I woke up with a throbbing headache but forced my eyes open, a bright light blinding me with each blink. I tried to look around to see where I was, but everything was pure white. The walls were white, the ceiling was white, and the floor was white. I glanced behind me and noticed there was a clear door, seeing someone standing in front of it.

Turning around to face the door, my vision still fuzzy, I felt the soft cushions underneath me. Isolation. I took another glance around, now seeing the squares of cushions that went along the wall and ceiling.

"Elana, can you hear me?" I heard the guy at the door speak. I made my way over to the door, ignoring his voice as I looked for a handle, anything, to help me get out of here. No matter how much I banged on the glass, ignoring the figure behind it, the glass stayed put.

"Elana, you are in Isolation. You know that you can't get out of it," the guy spoke softly but with a sigh. I glanced up to him, anger rising up in me when I saw it was Conner. Why was he following me around? And why did he have a bruised cheek with dried blood on his nose?

"Why won't you leave me alone! Stop following me!" I shouted, staring directly at him. His expression did not change at all; he was calm and sincere. It only made me more frustrated to see how calm he was.

"I'm here to help you. I don't want to hurt you, okay?" Conner said as he sat down in front of the door, crossing his legs. His lips were turned into a smile, and I almost felt bad for being so mean. Seeing his calm green eyes and his happy smile made me want to feel bad for him, but I knew I couldn't. He was just faking this and wanted me to suffer. I bet, somehow, he planned for me to end up here.

"You don't want to help me," I spoke in a firm voice as I turned around and sat against the back wall, as far away from him as I could be. From back here, his eyes looked black and a shadow hung over him. "You just think that I'm crazy, don't you? I'm some psycho, right? You follow me around all day and just wait for me to have an episode?" I asked with a cold tone. I didn't want anyone to be here, but Henry.

"Well, we are both in an institution for something, right? How about I tell you why I am here, and you tell me why you think the people here think you are crazy?" He asked with a smile, never looking away from me. I didn't answer him at first, thinking if I just ignored him I could imagine that he wasn't there. He was still there.

"Why are you so nice? All you do is fucking smile at me. I don't understand you! I just wanted to use you, ya know?" I blurted out, my body boiling with haterd for this man. Nothing phased him and he always had a grin on his face. Now he wanted me to tell him why I was here? Bullshit. 

"Is that true huh? Coming from the girl who literally karate kicked me down the hall, I think I deserve a little more than that," Conner retorted, for the first time seeming annoyed. He sighed again, pushing his light-brown hair from his face before looking up at me. "You just looked really alone and I know how if feels to be here on your first few weeks. It's terrifying and you're always drowsy, trust me I know. But don't push me away. I just wanna help, Elana."

His voice seemed so sincere, his eyes full or worry as he spoke to me. It made me question myself for a bit, wondering if he actually cared about me or if I should be mad he made assumptions about me. Obviously, I chose the more stubborn approach. 

"So you think I'm lonely and what? You're supposed to be my saviour?" I replied with a scoff, running my hand against the soft cushion underneath me. 

He let out a half annoyed laugh, rolling his eyes before replying, "Seriously, Elana? I know I hardly know you but come on. I'm not here try to fix you, I was just being nice and friendly. It's how I wanted people to treat me when I first got here. But if that's how you really feel then I should just go. Sorry for thinking you'd want company." His voice was completely different from when he first came in, slowly getting up to leave.