Pretext

Pretext

                Long before time recorded, our planet of Ryünda was a wondrous place.  Clear water flowed in every stream and lake, and the sky was so pure it could not be done justice by the most talented of painters.  The birds and beasts of Ryünda lived in harmony with its people, and they coexisted to make it more of a home for all.  Vast cities dotted the landscape, testaments to long study of engineering and science that had stood for longer than most could remember.  The four countries of our world: Soldre, Coldren, Darco and Helios, traded knowledge and goods between themselves like old friends.  It was a peaceful time, and the people of the four countries grew complacent and content.

          But it was not to last.

          That lack of fighting spirit was exactly what an ancient horror had been waiting for since the beginning of our time of peace.  The Sira, masters of the old Dark magic and enemies of all that stood for light and peace, escaped from their prison deep in the caves of the Wolfscrag Mountains.  In less than a year, they completely overran Coldren, subverting its people and casting the entire country into darkness.  Using their dark powers, they cast a spell so powerful that it changed the nature of the planet itself.  In the wake of this spell, our planet had been split into the Light and Dark Hemispheres.  The Sira controlled every living thing on their side of the border, and it was said they had warped and shaped the animals into monstrosities of death and destruction to use as they saw fit.  The people of the Light Hemisphere soon gave these atrocities a name, Darklings.

          The three free countries scrambled to find a way to slow or stop the Sira advance, and find it they did.  Hidden in long-sealed volts were the texts of old that described magic in its true form, light.  Only through the united forces of the other three countries and their rag-tag guild of mages could the Sira’s advance be brought to a halt.  It was a bitter struggle, but with large loss of life the Sira war machine was brought to a staggered halt.  Now the border is dotted with a double-row of outposts and forts, with both sides wanting to push it one way or the other.  For two hundred years this stalemate has been festering and heating up, waiting for the inevitable release of all-out war to ravage the landscape once again.

          Now is that time.  Now is when the pot comes to a boil and lady luck shine on those who do not get burned.