Distrust

So journal, what do you do when you're being framed for the theft of a heirloom of the queen's? I sure didn't know. When I passed through the guards, somehow we looked suspicious to them. They talked to each other for a moment, making small glares towards me. Then it clicked. This whole entire world seemed to distrust me, and it felt like I was living up to a crime I'd never do. "We've got to search you," one of the guards spoke up, adding "two, and the case," at the end.

They first searched my jacket pockets, close to the bump that the gem made in my pocket. They only found an assortment of coins and snacks. It seemed that they would move on, but one went ahead and searched my pants pocket, grabbing the gem. The guard grumbled a little, saying, "And I thought it was a false alarm..." Jamie argued with the guards, but they ignored him. "Search the case."

The guards opened the case, revealing a female who looked like she just got out of a coma, who gasped, as in she's never saw the outside world before. She got up on her feet, stumbling around. She grinned, looking at herself. "Who... are you?" The guards asked almost in unison.

She sneered, saying, "You idiots. I'm your queen." She rearranged her hair and dusted herself off.

"You're supposed to be in your meetings, Rebecca." The train conductor tipped his hat after the sentence with respect.

She looked at herself and said, "I am in the meetings. I... just happen to be here too?" She looked a little panicked. "Is this a dream?" She glared down at me, and I took my eyes away to the letter taped on the case, with a big, 'Anyone but Rebecca reading this, I'll personally slam you against the wall.' I gave her it, and she smiled. "I know whose handwriting this is." She read the letter silently, as if she was cracking a smile at every few words, but she soon frowned. "Am I...?"

"What's the matter, Rebecca?" One of the guards came close to her.

She sighed, asking, "Am I Rebecca? Am I real? Am I really just an experiment? Why would she just store me away, like I'm some sort of backup? Should I feel honored that she doesn't want to lose me, or maybe I should feel terrible, since my only reason for existence is to replace."

I spoke up, "Well, for whatever reason, she has to care about you a little bit." She smiled, like she was hearing something she's heard many times but still finds joy in hearing it.

"Thanks... But in the letter... she said that I can't trust you..." This was my chance, right? She had to know.

"Why does she not trust me?" I asked her. She looked at me with eyes that said, 'don't.'

She held herself together and said, "I'm a clone. How am I supposed to know?" The guards were inching closer, and Jamie was shaking. I started shouting at her, she had to know.

"You do know! How would you know about M.D.'s handwriting if you didn't?!" She snapped from her joyous expression to something of rage. She ordered the guards to grab me. They complied.

"Don't tell me I don't know her! You try spending a year in a metal case being prodded at! I do know her! She said I was going to be useful! She said I was special! She said... that maybe things could last forever. But she never bothered to ask me about how I felt!" She yelled and yelled, causing the ground to almost shake. The guards dragged me away, giving her the gem. She stared at the gem happily, and ordered Jamie to go away.

I was forced to watch Jamie try to get out the words, "R- Queen, I've always wanted to... meet you... I've been training with you." He pressed his shaking arm and held out a small fire.

She held him close, still in an angry mood, and told him, "Whatever she... I have shown you is barely the fraction of my power. Never mind that it's borrowed." She dropped him, while he watched with childlike wonder. She took a hand out, expecting something to happen. I just heard a beeping from the choker she was wearing.

"M.D.'s not letting me use magic... Ugh... She said my personality was temporary and my temper is unstable. Unstable! And she's the nice one..." She shoo'd me away from the train station, leaving Jamie with a crushed reality and barely enough money to get on the train. I stared at the clone, stomping and grumbling. Was this the fair and just queen I was going to meet?

Wherever the guards dragged me, it was cold. I was used to this world's normal temperature of freezing, but this was subzero. They didn't bother to shackle me, and locked the door. The only person in there was a blank-faced girl, who was chanting over and over, "I didn't do anything." I looked around, there was a corner with some strange markings and a few objects. I swore I saw some kind of glow. I decided not to investigate further, seeing the girl's angered reaction.

"What did you do?" I asked. She blinked at me, coming back to reality.

She stared at me, and with a wink, answered, "Oh, that's a secret, dear. You'd have to help me out." I listened to her request, "You see, I'm not actually alive... I'm just kept around because I have a purpose. You know what my punishment is? I have to give up all of my power and give up my rights, to do what? Use my magic to power this kingdom. All I would need to be free is the final piece, the gem I saw when I came through the door."

"You went through the door too?" I asked her. She nodded.

"Look where it got me. Look where it got you. Listen, if I ever get free, this kingdom would beat me back to my home world, but you can save the kingdom from her. From the queen. She's a tyrant. When she saw me, she forced me to be adopted by one of these people. I hate her. You should too, for what she did to you. Here she comes." I heard footsteps from the upper floor. I saw a twinkle in her eyes from the door.

She grimaced when she saw my new friend, muttering, "Why didn't I get rid of her when I had the chance?" The kid next to me replied with a hiss. She looked at me, confused. "When did I get a new prisoner? What did you do?"

The child from before encouraged me and I said, "Nothing, it was a misunderstanding." I felt bad for lying to her, she had a nice smile.

"Oh... that sounds terrible. Here, I'll unlock the door for you and we'll talk over dinner." She looked over to my friend and sighed with regret, "Here, Mauve, you can get some fresh air." Mauve picked up a bit. "With the shackles. But if you try anything, you'll be forced back to your homeworld." That didn't seem too bad, but Mauve was terrified. I didn't know what to think of her, everything about her seemed genuine, but the way Mauve looked at me was sullen, as if I was wrong. I didn't know what to think anymore.

~

That... was quick. But there's a few explanations for that. 

1. Our tests are over (for now) so I've had some time. 

2. I've been excited for writing these next chapters, where everyone is adorable and murder-y. Almost everyone... I think...