Chapter Four: Looking for a Way Out

I leaned against the display counter, staring at the necklaces on the black velvet displays. I had never had money in my life, so it was hard not to snatch up something that looked nice. One in particular caught my eye; it had three small strings of diamonds on the end of it. Glass shattered and I jumped. I looked at the doors to see that the walkers had busted through the first set. Glenn and Morales ran in.

“Find anything?” Andrea asked.

“Not a way out.”

The walkers banged on the doors, growling and carrying on. One of them had a brick in its hand.

“We need to find a way out. And soon.”

“Let's get our asses back up to the roof and regroup,” I suggested.

“Yeah, let's go.”

We ran back up to the roof and were met with the worried faces of my brother and my lover.

“The trucks at that construction site,” Rick said. “They always keep keys on hand, right?”

“You'll never make it past the walkers, Rick,” I said, shaking my head.

“You got me out of that tank.”

“Yeah, but they were distracted! It's different!”

“Can't we distract them again?”

“Right,” Merle scoffed. “Listen to him. A diversion, like on ‘Hogan's Heroes’.”

“Give it a rest, Merle! Jesus,” I said angrily.

“They're drawn in by sound.”

“Yeah, like dogs.”

“What else?”

“Aside from them hearing you? They see you, smell you, and if they catch you, they eat you,” Morales muttered.

A grim look came to Rick's face and I groaned, frowning.

“No way,” I said.