Author Foreword

To Samuel Leith,

Like many authors, the characters in this book have been created through my relationships and inspiration from real life people. Madeline is my best friend, Emalia is roughly based on myself and Leith is a person very dear to my best friend.

On August 22nd, the inspiration behind the character 'Leith' tragically passed away. Leith was based on a 15 year old boy named Samuel Leith, whom my best friend had met due to her love for many fandoms and clicked instantly.

Sam and my best friend, Amber both shared a love for Percy Jackson, but specifically the son of Hermes, Luke Castellan. Sam created a fan page for the character and upon discovering the page he and Amber clicked instantly. This fan page is still in existence today, with the loyalest of his fans still remembering Sam's love of all things fandom related and his spirit.

Unfortunately the bond they shared was ripped apart from them in August, when Sam was killed in a car accident, only revealed to Amber and many of his other devoted fans in an instagram post on his fan page, early this month.

I did not know Sam on a personal level and I'm not going to say I do just for empathy, because it is not me who needs it, it is my best friend. Many of my readers may know Sam, as his fan page has many followers and like my friend, they too are probably trying to move on from the tragic loss.

You touched many hearts Sam. You died a hero in your own way, and you will be missed.