Ch. 3

Thank you for reading and voting x

G U E S S  W H O ?

C H A P T E R  T H R E E

Mother's Intuition

"Melanie, you can't stay in your room forever." Her mother said from the doorway. She was tired of going out, tired of dealing with guys that weren't boyfriend material or even friend material. She'd given up about three days ago, deciding to just go to school and head right back home, after work, of course. Boyfriends were overrated anyway.

"Mom, I don't want to go to whatever it is you want me to go to. I got homework and stuff..."

"You need a break, it's just a little fundraiser. You can bond with the other young adults who's parents forced them to come. Maybe you'll meet a nice boy?" Her mother lifted her eyebrows repeatedly and smiled, she sighed.

"I'm just going to be single, I'm not even going to try anymore."

"So you can cannot try at the fundraiser, come on, get dressed! Wear something nice."

"Why can't dad go?" She asked before her mother left her room.

"I forced him to go last time! It's your turn!" She yelled from down the hall, she pouted, looking at the closet.

✖✖✖

The fundraiser was an annual event, her mother was always involved in the community, she enjoyed helping others and some of that enthusiasm had slipped into Melanie's DNA. It was part of the reason she didn't argue too hard about not going. The more people that attended the event the better. Still, she was socially exhausted, she'd spent her time around too many guys lately.

She put on a smile when her mother introduced her to a woman that was vaguely familiar to her, most of the time she'd offer to help with something, but this time she just found their designated table and took a seat. This event was held at a golf club, apparently they'd made a reputation for themselves and now attracted more people. She hadn't been able to attend them as school got busy, applying for college and then actually going. She'd gotten into the rhythm of things now though and knew how to make everything work.

"Melanie!" She turned at the sound of her name, the woman that was vaguely familiar, who she learned was named Stephanie, approached her with a familiar looking purse and a familiar looking guy. "This is my son, Carlos, you went to school together for a bit, you remember don't you?" Her eyes widened a bit, she recognized him now. She nodded, realizing why his mother looked familiar, she'd seen her throughout her elementary school days, especially towards the end. "You can keep each other company, and your mom asked if you could watch her purse for her, she'll be back soon."

"Okay." She replied, blushing at Carlos' smile, he'd certainly grown up. His mother left and he took a seat across from her, sliding a glass of what seemed like soda over in her direction.

"It was for my mom, but I don't think she'll mind." He said, a warm smile now in place.

"Thanks," she replied, sliding the cup the rest of the way. It was awkward to say the least, if she wasn't so tired she probably would have tried to get a conversation going.