Shot Two: What If...

"Daddy?" It was Charles, my son.

"Yes Charles?"

"Can you teach me how to work in the office?"

"No."

"But why?"

"I'm busy."

"I know you are, daddy, but I'd like to learn."

"I said no Charles."

"Please? I won't take long! I'll learn quickly."

"No means no Charles." But he was persistent. In the end, I turned and gave him my coldest glare and told him to leave my office. He ran away like a frightened animal. Who knew where he had gone? I went back to work.

A couple minutes later there was a knock on the door. "Rikkard? May I come in?" It was Lilly and my heart jumped when I heard her.

"If you so desire to, then come inside. Quickly."

She entered the office and shut the door behind her. "Charles informed me that you're not willing to help him learn how to become a financial magnate like you."

"It's not that I am unwilling, Lilly, it's just the fact that I'm busy."

"But even so, you should take away from your time and-"

"Knowledge is power is time is money. Have you forgotten already?" I heard a vague shuffling behind me as she spluttered. File S28XVI786. Where was it?

"No, but. He's.. You're...." She sucked in a breath. "He's your son! He should be at least cared somewhat by you, should he not?"

"Cared? Aren't you the one who's doing that?"

"I am!"

"So then you teach him! I am sure you've gotten enough knowledge about it all haven't you? It's time to make use of it!"

"But you're the one who has the most experience! Not I!" I stood and turned to face her.

"So what?"

"So what!? Why, if I tell him what there is to know about the gruelling world of money, he'll only know partially everything!"

"Do it anyway."

"But.. He.. I'm not..."

"You're not?"

"I'm not capable of the things you are of!"

"Oh?" My tone was mocking. "Is that so? Where have all your beliefs and principles gone?"

She gasped. "You dare-?"

"Yes I dare mock you. I thought you were better than this. I am sure that you wouldn't let me do everything for you both, am I mistaken?" I said in a quiet, dangerous voice, walking towards her.

"N-no." I ran a single finger down her cheek and she shivered.

"Didn't think so. Now go be a good mother and teach Charles all there is to know."

"B-but.. But he's your son! And I'm your wife! You're his father for gods sake! You're supposed to be a teacher to him! You're supposed to be telling him about everything there is to know about your world! The world of money, because that's all you care about!"

"Maybe I don't want to. Maybe, I never wanted a son. Maybe I never even wanted a wife!" Silence. She stared at me, eyes going wide.

"W-what?" I gave an exasperated sigh.

"Don't you understand?" I grabbed her by the shoulders, shaking her a little. "You're a mistake! Charles was a mistake! Everything I've ever done with you was a mistake! Everything I've ever done with Charles was a mistake! I should have never hired you the day I met you." I pushed her away from me, with a little more force than necessary, turned and walked to the safe. Now to look for that file...