Chapter Ten

The capital of Lithanium was bustling with activity. The sun was high overhead, the sky a clear, crystalline blue. Carts lined the cobbled streets and merchants stood beside them, advertising and selling their wares. Entertainers could be found at every street corner. There was a group of dancers, dancing to the music of a kantele. They danced with a kind of ethereal grace, as though their feet didn't touch the ground. The music was a little bit haunting and eerie, but it was beautiful. Their performance was hypnotic and oddly comforting. I found that I just wanted to keep watching.

I'd only been watching for a moment when Amaryllis put a hand on my arm. When I looked at her, her eyes held a warning. "We should move on," she said. "You can't watch the dancers for too long or you'll become hypnotized." She pulled me along and I followed after her begrudgingly.

"What happens when you get hypnotized by them?" I asked as we continued along the street.

"You would become their slave for eternity. Often times, that means they would force you to become a dancer, as well. And you couldn't say no, because, well, you're a slave." She shrugged.

I shuddered at the thought. "Well, thank you for pulling me away, then."

She beamed at me. "Anytime! I wouldn't let you become a slave. That's not what friends do!" She shook her head, her golden-red curls whipping around her face.

We passed a man holding flames in his hands. I stopped, wide-eyed and watched the golden flames dance around his fingers, shoot upward from his palms. He smiled when he saw that I was watching him. He approached me, walking with that same faerie grace, as though he were floating more than walking. He had a sort of unearthly beauty about him. He looked to be in his early twenties, but I knew was much older than that. He had crimson-colored hair, shot through with gold and he had golden eyes the color of caramel.

He bowed at the waist. "My lady," he murmured, his voice clear and soft. He held out his hand and the flames rearranged themselves into a rose. Though, because it was made out of fire, I could not touch it. But I stared at it in complete awe, all the same. I'd never seen anything like it. "You are the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes on."

My cheeks flushed at the sudden compliment and I smiled. Not quite sure what to say, I thanked him and hurried on, accompanied by Mary, who was laughing to herself.

I glared at her. "What's so funny?"

She shook her head. "You were so red! It was actually quite adorable."

I felt my blush deepen and crossed my arms and turned away. "That is not true."

She only laughed softly and continued on. Amaryllis wore a pair of white trousers and a soft pink blouse and white leather boots. She looked beautiful in the clothes, standing next to me, who wore dark trousers and a dark tunic and black boots. The boots had been against my will. I hadn't really wanted to wear shoes, but Azula had insisted.

Sierre was very busy, it seemed. Mary explained that it was always like this, even early in the morning. I stopped abruptly as two barefooted fairy children ran through the streets right in front of me. They were much faster than children in the human world. I smiled as they ran around, chasing each other and laughing.

I glanced at Amaryllis and found her watching them, as well. She looked up and smiled at me. We continued along for a while, pausing occasionally to examine what was being sold. One fey woman sold beauty. Another man was selling secrets, he claimed. I paused in front of a cart where a faerie woman had several glass vials full of different colored liquids. Potions, she said. There was one for love, one for knowledge, another to give a person compassion . . . she had so many. I wondered how long it had taken her to make them all.