Chapter 2.2

I will only be able to update once a month as I'm having my national exams this year and am busy with my studies. So please understand if I forget to update.

And thank you for reading my book 😊

--- --- ---

To begin with, her name wasn't Aidan from the start. She only adopted his name after Aidan and his mom were unjustly killed because of the war. Aidan's fists clenched as she recalled the cries and screams she heard on that very night.

Back then, she used to be a normal girl who always picked fights with the neighbors' kids because they used to tease her about being an orphan often. That's how she became interested in learning how to fight and protect someone. She picked up a few skills on the way and proceeded on to learn how to use the bow and the arrows from one of the retired warriors in her village.

Aidan and his mother always treated her nicely despite all the trouble she always caused them. She heard from Aidan that his mom and her mom were friends before, which was the reason why she's talking care of her in place of her mother who had died giving birth to her.

On that day when the two people she loved the most died, she decided to give up her life living as a girl and take revenge on those who killed them. She knew it wasn't going to be easy but it's better not to give up without even trying. It might even be impossible no matter how hard she tried... After all, the ones who killed them weren't even humans...

She closed her eyes briefly, trying to think of something else to clear her mind of the memories of that night. She took deep breaths in and out multiple times before she finally managed to calm herself down. She looked around the room filled with clothes and dishes all over the place and layers of dust over them as they had been left untouched for the past few years since they had died.

She made her way to the small cupboard located below the window across from where the entrance was. It creaked as Aidan opened it slowly, afraid that she might break the door if she used too much force. She found a little box inside and took it out.

The word 'Justina' was engraved on the top of the box. She opened the lid of the box and peeked inside. Aidan gasped the moment she saw the contents within the box. There was a portrait of a girl inside. She seemed to be about the same age as I am right now, but she looked a lot more beautiful... And happier. I flipped the photo to the back and saw some scribblings.

Aidan squinted her eyes as she tried to read them. "Katherynne Almond...?" She said out loud. "Almond? What kind of name is that?" Aidan wondered as she chuckled.

Was this her mother? This was the first time she saw a picture of her mother since the day she was born. She always assumed that Aidan's mother was her real mom till some kids told her she was an orphan.

She didn't know whether to believe it or not and always wondered why they never told her till she asked them... She felt like everything was a lie. Every emotion she felt, every word she heard... Everything seemed like a lie to her. Why was she the only one still breathing and alive when everyone she loved had died, leaving her behind all alone in this cruel world.

Is there really no one who could save her from this prison of misery? No matter how much she wanted to leave this world, she had to live to take revenge... Take revenge on those who took her loved ones away from her...