Chapter Twenty-two

- THREE MONTHS LATER -

Avery's been in a coma for a little over three months. Finding out my baby brother was in a coma devastated me. Avery has always been the 'Good' one of the family-He didn't deserve that. August extended his stay in Nola upon my request. Our relationship hasn't even begun the healing process, But the way things are looking, It seems like it could be a possibility. Trey has been absent for a few weeks. That concerns me, Toni and Alex held off on their search for who shot Avery, I helped Alex pay back Ramon, So he's getting himself together.

I smiled, spotting August's Mother as we approached the lunch table. Sheila smiled as she stood to greet.

"Hi!"She greeted excitedly as we hugged. "Oh my, You're grown!"She exclaimed as she looked at me.
We all sat down. "How you been?"She asked curiously.

"I'm doin' "I spoke, Not really sure what to say.

"I heard about Avery, I'm sorry"She spoke. I nodded, Accepting her statement. There was an awkward silence following. I looked over as I heard a car door close. I spotted three little familiar beings as they approached. They all looked alike. The genes run strong. I smiled as the little girls came up to me.

"Chay!"I automatically recognized her. All three of the girls look alike. I only met Chay though. She was born when I was around. She hugged me, But it was awkward.

"That's Kayden and Amiyah"(Not sure if I spelled their names right) August introduced, Pointing to the other two little girls. They shyly waved and smiled politely. All of them went and hugged both August and Sheila. A woman approached, I knew what she looked like, It was their Mom. I knew of her, But I didn't really know her. Sheila introduced us as we sat. I ended up sitting on the ground while all three of them played in my long curly hair. As long as they were happy...

"So where you livin' these days?"Sheila asked curiously.

"Here...With Alex and Avery"I replied as my head leaned back.

"Do you work?"She asked.

"I took some time off for Avery"I said. It wasn't a lie, But it wasn't the full truth either.

"Who's Avery?"Amiyah asked. There was a quick silence, Her Mother scolded her.

"No, It's okay"I spoke up. "Avery's my brother"

"What's wrong with him?"-

"Mya!"Chay scolded her little sister.

"He's in a coma"I answered her question. I was going to be completely honest, It's kind of easy to talk about it...To kids, I mean they don't know better. There was a quick silence.

"What's a coma?"One of them asked.

"It's where you're asleep for a long time"Their Mom spoke, Trying to end the conversation.

* * *

"I'm sorry for earlier they're"-

"It's fine, They're just kids"I shrugged it off. I waved to the girls and Sheila as they departed, Leaving August and I alone.

- Later that Evening -

August decided to chill before he went to the hotel...

I entered my bedroom to see August standing next to my nightstand. He turned to me as I entered. He held something in his hand, It became more visible as I approached him. My heart dropped.

"What's'is?"He asked curiously, Holding the ultrasound picture up. I slightly smiled, But I felt lightheaded. "You jus' not gon' answer me?"He questioned, Almost jokingly. It was far from a joke. I tried to avoid it, But he wouldn't let me..."Tasha"He spoke, Sounding serious. I looked away, Trying to prepare myself for this. I knew it was coming, I just didn't think it'd come this...Quick.