Helping those in need

Before you can make any real progress back to your home, you notice a young man who you know has been struggling with the harvest as of late. He has been feeling ill lately and has not met the proper quota of grain bundles. As a result, his family--which includes his two small children--is being punished by a reduced ration of food. You remember the grain you pocketed earlier and hesitate as you see him stumble home. You can hear his stomach growl from here. He looks exhausted and surely won't be able to improve his productivity any time soon.

On the one hand, you were going to take it home for your own family and it is illegal to have in the first place. Besides, he may be too proud to accept your help, or he may even report you to the guards in hopes of receiving extra rations as a reward.

On the other hand, you know a little about his family. He doesn't really seem like the type to turn you in, especially over an act of kindness. He has a three year old and a five year old at home and while the grain you have isn't very much, you know it's enough to provide his family with an extra loaf of bread.

You approach the young man and clear your throat awkwardly to get his attention. He turns to you, blinking owlishly through hazy grey eyes. His eyes narrow as he tries to concentrate on your face and recognition flits over his features. "You ... you're Kyle's child, aren't you?"

You nod quietly and reach into your pocket, taking a quick glance around to make sure you won't be caught before you hold out a handful of grain to the young man. His eyes widen and he instinctively holds out his palms. You deposit it and the rest from your pocket into his open palms. He stares down at the gift in stunned silence and you start to walk away.

"W-wait!" You turn around and see tears of gratitude pooling at the corners of the young man's eyes. "There must be something that I can do for you in return ... the risk you've taken is ... " He bites his lip, knowing better than to elaborate. The young man glances around helplessly, knowing that he doesn't really have anything to offer you, but his gaze falls on the sash-like cloth, folded and tied around his waist. Pocketing the grain, he unties it and hands it to you. "Please, take it. I know it's of little value, but it may prove some use to you."

You accept the cloth with a smile and he bids you farewell before heading into his house.