Chapter Thirty One: Rusting Over

The world no longer smelled like death, Matt realized as he stepped into the hospital, the crispness of the air refreshing. The place was nearly deserted, with a few medics writing on clipboards or tidying up spaces as they paced from room to room. Without any fighting, there wasn’t much for them to do, now that they had done all they could for their patients. All that was left was recovery for most, or a comfortable death. Other than changing bandages and sheets there was just busywork. It was better that way, Matt decided, because when the hospital was busy, death came knocking.

The administration desk was empty, no one around to handle any visitors. It is early, Matt thought, who could they be expecting? Still, Matt figured any of the medics could point him to Billy’s room. It had taken a week, but they finally moved him from intensive care to a basic recovery room, Emma had told him over dinner the other day. She was loving her position at the hospital, like she was born to work there. She’s found her niche, now only to find mine, Matt mused. 

Clearing his throat, Matt attempted to catch one of the medics’ attention, hoping that Emma would pop out of one of the rooms to help him out. No such luck, though it mattered little, he wasn’t there to see her today. 

“Can I help you?”  a young man replied, looking up from his clipboard. He was tapping a pen against the cork board, an infernal rapping that captivated Matt’s attention for a few moments. Tearing himself away, he registered that the man was talking to him.

“Uh, yeah, um, I’m looking for Billy Kozak,” Matt said plainly, unsure how he felt about seeing his friend again. All he could think about was when he said he was ready to die. To be with his parents, Matt remembered. Emma had told him Billy had woken up a few days ago, but wasn’t talking much yet. Most of the time he stared blankly, but sometimes he’d respond to her with a nod or shake of his head. “He’s there sometimes,” Emma had said as she took a bite of crusty bread, soggy from the broth she had dipped it in. Matt hoped today Billy would be there, and not the empty shell.

“ . . . on the left.” the young man replied. Matt had barely heard half of it.

“I’m sorry, I . . . kinda phased out for a moment there,” Matt replied, grimacing.

The young man sighed before pointing down the hall. “First door on the left.”

“Thanks,” Matt replied, turning away quickly. Best not to waste any more of the man’s time. 

He found Billy’s room quickly, stopping outside the door. Taking a deep breath, Matt pushed on the handle, slowly opening it. He stepped inside, the sun blinding him for a moment. The light was flooding in through a large window in the far wall, the sun just rising over the glass gardens tucked in the south corner of Foundation. The greenhouses provided fresh vegetables for the entire city, and a soothing view for anyone lying in one of the hospital beds. Matt thought it strange to build a farm next to a hospital before realizing recent events probably converted this building from its former purpose, whatever that had been. 

Billy was sitting upright in his bed, shoulders propped up against the headboard. His back was to Matt and he did not stir, giving him no clues to whether he was awake or not. Only one way to find out, Matt thought as he delved into the room. It was relatively bare, with a simple heart rate monitor tucked beside the bed - tracking Billy’s slow beats. The far wall had a dresser, filled with sheets and pillow cases most likely, with a lone potted flower giving the drab room a splash of violet. A couple of black folding chairs were propped against the wall, left for anyone who wished to sit.

Hoping his friend was awake, Matt quickly closed the distance between them, chest tightening as the air suddenly became harder to breathe. Billy’s skin was pale, though it had more colour than when he had last visited. He’d looked dead, sleeping in the bed, face white as a corpse. But not today. Today his eyes were open, pupils watching something beyond the window, something in the greenhouse perhaps, or something Matt would never be able to see.