Chapter Two: Into the World

"No, I'm not staying here while those men have Rose! I have to go after her," Matt snapped at his mother, staring at her as he tore a bite out of his breakfast. The stale bread was like sand in his mouth so he washed it down with a glass of water. He was thankful his father had set up the well when he was still around, using his chemical expertise to design a purification system. Matt imagined they wouldn't have survived long without him.

"And what? You're just going to leave your half-blind mother behind to fend for herself? Leaving that, what do you think you're gonna do if you do so happen to find her? Are you going to be the hero and defeat the men that so easily held you down? Are you going to outrun the jeep they drove away in? She's dead Matt. I don't want to believe it just as much as you don't but it's true," Margaret paused as tears formed in her eyes and a tickle caught her throat. As much as he wanted to interject, Matt held his tongue. He owed his mother that much respect.

"Don't go off and leave like your father did. Don't go and get yourself killed. It's a brutal world out there, you have been sheltered out here. You never saw the devastation your father waded through when he left the bomb shelter. It's not so bad out here, so far from the Wastes. If you go then I'll have no one. Don't do that to me," she said, stifling a sob. Matt admired her strength for he knew his mother was dying inside. 

Even though Margaret's words should have scared Matt more than they did, he was still unconvinced. He knew his mother's sister and her family lived in the settlement that was only an hour's walk from their farm and he figured she could stay with them while he went searching for Rose.

"How can you talk like that? I'm not letting my sister die out there!" Matt shouted, slamming a fist down on the table they were seated at. 

"Matt think practically. If you go out there, you will die. I'm not losing both of my children in a matter of days," Margaret replied, trying to remain calm.

"I DON"T CARE! If I don't try then who will? I refuse to let Rose die," Matt spat, throwing his slice of bread back onto his plate. He violently rose from the table, letting his chair fall back behind him, creating a loud crash against the floor. He stormed off to the small six by twelve space that was his room, determined to begin preparing for his journey. Slamming the door behind him he quickly scooped up the ragged knapsack he owned and unzipped the main pocket, releasing a cloud of dust into the air. Waving the particles away, Matt began to dash around his room, collecting items that he expected would be of use. 

His father's old swiss army knife, a heavy blanket, and a ragged leather coat were all thrown into the bag, placed in specific pockets and spaces. Matt glanced around the room, scanning it for anything else that he may need. Aside from his bed and a few dusty books his room was empty. He glanced back at his bag, knowing he had nowhere near enough supplies to keep him alive. Furrowing his brow, Matt wracked him mind, trying to think of the other things he would need. A lighter, or something that can start a fire. Something I can use to purify water. A map, if any exist. Flares, they would be helpful but I doubt we own any. Arrgh! Ma's right, I am gonna die. I'm gonna fucking die. With that thought Matt slumped down onto his bed, landing in a disgruntled heap. He groaned, letting out a long tone of frustration and hopelessness into his dirty bedsheets. Closing his eyes tight, he held back the tears that were beginning to form, holding in the sorrow that he felt for his sister and the anger he had towards his current state. Matt tore his eyes open as he heard a knock at the door. 

"Come in," he muttered as he wiped his eyes, not bothering to get up and let his mother in. The grey iron handle twisted and his mother's broad frame stepped into his cramped room, a look of pity upon her face. She shook her head slowly, as if she was disappointed.

"Matt . . ." Margaret sighed, letting her shoulders drop. She stared at her son for a long while, her eyes deep in thought. Matt simply let his eyes drift to the ceiling as he began counting the cracks in the peeling paint.