Chapter 1

Lines of sunlight hitting Leo's eyelids woke him up.  He groaned and rolled over, still not used to waking up to the sun every morning.  The turtles were staying up at April's farmhouse for a while.  Splinter sent them away because Raphael and Leo's fights were getting worse and more frequent.  He said not to come back until they have resolved their issues.  So far nothing has changed, but they have only been here for about a week.

Leo rolled out of his bed and fell onto the floor. He laid there for only as long as it took for him to heave a sigh before standing and clumsily walking out of his room.  It was 7:00, so he was the first awake as usual.  He didn't bother putting on any of his gear, or even his mask.  He yawned and stretched his way into the kitchen to begin making breakfast.

After he finished scooping the coffee into the percolator, he filled it with water and then set it on the stove.  He reached up and put the front stove top on the second heat setting before turning to the fruit.  He pulled a knife from the drawer along the edge of the counter along with some bowls and forks and began slicing the cold melon into bite sized chunks.

He heard light, spread-out footsteps enter the kitchen.  "Good morning, Donnie," Leo greeted.

"Mnn," Donnie mumbled.  Leo sprinkled some chia seeds onto the fruit, stuck a fork into one of the pieces, and handed it to his younger brother, who also wasn't wearing his mask; it was draped untied across his shoulders.  "Thanks," he said with a small smile.  Leo couldn't help but think he was just adorable.  When the turtles were younger, they all used to act cute around each other, but most of them dropped that when they became teens - all of them but Leo.  His childish actions grew into something more, and he was starting to realize that has feelings for a few of his brothers.  He pushed those thoughts far out of mind, and just played everything off as just childish.  "So how are you doing?" Donnie asked with fruit in his mouth.  "Up here, and all.  I mean, I know you hate being away from Master Splinter."

Leo sighed and took his own bowl of fruit in his hands.  "I'm as good as I can be.  When I meditate, I can feel his spirit with me and that's good enough for now," he answered thoughtfully.  It was difficult for Leo not to have Splinter's reassurance, to have to get through days on end on his own, but ultimately, he felt he had to stay strong for the team.

"That's good," Donnie said.  This was how almost every morning has been since they arrived at the farmhouse.  Leo would wake up, make breakfast, and talk to Donnie.  Raph would sometimes sleep in until noon, but Mikey would wake up no later than eleven in the morning, as not to miss the Crognard the Barbarian.  Even though they only air new episodes on Saturdays, he would still wake up to watch the re-runs.  Donnie and Leo usually watched it with him.  Once Raph was awake, he would usually pick a fight with Leo before they headed out to train in the forest.

Today, though, was not a normal day. 

Raphael stomped into the kitchen with his mask tied tightly around his head.  Leo almost choked on the cantaloupe in his mouth.  Raph growled and walked past him to snatch his fruit.  He plopped himself down aggressively into the chair farthest from Donnie and angrily stabbed the chunks of melon.  He shoved a piece of Honeydew into his mouth and swallowed it without hardly chewing.  He glared up at Leo.  "You just gonna stare at me all mornin' or what?" he asked.

Leo didn't respond.   Instead, he just looked away.  He turned to the percolator and poured the first two cups of coffee, placing one on the table next to Raph before placing it back on the stove.  Leo and Raph preferred their coffee much weaker than Donatello - the one thing they agreed on.

Leo poured some almond milk into his hot cup of coffee.  "How did you sleep, Raph?" he asked, hoping to start nice conversation.

"Fine," he spat.  Leo sighed and didn't turn back around from the counter.  He just held his warm mug in his hands and let it warm him up.  He blew away the steam and took a sip and then picked up his fruit.  He sat next to Donnie at the table.