Chapter 36

I laughed as Hatter did tricks to entertain the group. He spun plates, juggled cups, and balanced his hat on his heel. He was very talented. The twins poked my arm and pointed towards Cheshire, who was glaring at Hatter for almost breaking his good dishes, scolding him harshly and telling him to "put those down at once!" Rab chuckled at him and said it was all good fun. Everyone was relaxed and happy. It was a sight I hadn't thought I'd get to see.

Rab sat down next to me as I took a sip of tea. "So, was this your goal?" I asked.

He didn't look at me, but he smiled. "Well, it's a start. We have plenty to do before Wonderland is back to normal. But it's definitely a start."

We both fell silent as we listened to the laughter and watched the smiles. As we sat there, I suddenly remembered something I had forgotten to ask. "Hey, Rab?" I said.

"Hm?"

"How did you know I would be able to come back?" I asked.

He shrugged lightly. "To be honest, I went on a hunch," he told me. "You are the Queen's son, a royal. Those in the royal family have always been able to travel to and from Wonderland as they please."

I gaped at him. "You risked my life on a hunch?" I asked.

Rab chuckled as if it was a simple fact. "I apologize, but it was a very positive hunch," he assured me.

"What would've happened if your hunch was wrong?" I asked.

"Well, even if you didn't inherit the traveling traits from the White Queen, you're still a Wonderlandian," he explained. "So, if you had been like the rest of us, you'd have been cast out."

I set my tea down with a clatter and turned to give him a shocked stare. "And you were okay with that?!"

He set his tea down as well. "No, but it was a fifty-fifty chance and I'm good with numbers." He smiled at me. "I was okay with that."

I scoffed, but it was good-natured. "Jeez, Rab. Sometimes I can't tell if you're a good guy or a jerk," I said.

His eyes merely twinkled with delight and he took another sip of tea. "You are not the first to say so," he said.

Just then I noticed Cheshire staring at me and I stood up. "Kitten calls," I said, walking across the living room towards Chesh. Rab nodded in understanding. 

When I reached Cheshire's side, I asked, "What's up?"

Cheshire pulled me to his hip. "What were you guys talking about?" he asked, appearing troubled.

"Nothing particularly important," I replied. Then, to change the subject, I turned to look at everyone with a smile. "I'm glad it's over..." 

Cheshire watched me as I leaned back against him, gazing out upon our friends. He leaned too and we just stood there watching, smiling at the happy atmosphere in the room. He grabbed a muffin off a nearby table and we shared it as we talked. It was like the horrors of the red queen had never happened. 

Standing there, I slipped my hand into Cheshire's and squeezed it. He looked at me in surprise. I checked to make sure no one was watching before I stood on my tip toes and gave his cheek a light kiss. Chesh stood very still as I whispered softly, "I love you."

He turned away and I saw his cheeks turn red. Then he turned back around and planted a passionate kiss right on my lips, far less shy in his affections. "I love you too," he said against my lips.

I smiled and closed my eyes as we held hands, forgetting about everyone else in the house. We were simply content to take in each other's love. This was short lived as someone cleared their throat and I suddenly realized we'd been hugging for longer than was proper. We turned to see everyone in the room staring at us and I blushed crimson. Quickly, I took a few steps back from Chesh, who also looked a little embarrassed.