Chapter 2

Walking into Phoenix High School was like stepping into a whole different world. The school, supposed to be about learning, was more like a reflection of our neighborhood. Tall fences with barbed wire surrounded the place, and security guards kept watch.

A literal prison.

As I moved through the packed hallways, rival gang members gave me nasty looks. The lockers and walls were covered in graffiti.

Richard followed close behind.

The air felt heavy, and security guards walked around, ready to jump in if things got crazy.

The school felt like a battleground.

Even with the tension, I kept going, gearing up for another day in this mix of school life and neighborhood drama.

You're probably wondering, how the hell was I able to sneak a gun to school with so much surveillance? The answer is, that even the security guards have chosen their sides. Milo is one of us, he clears us at the entrance. So yes, mostly every student here is carrying, think about that. In any breaking moment, a full-on gun-shooting can take place.

Finally, we made it to the cafeteria.

"Hey, can we talk first?" Richard grabs my arm.

I pull away. "No. Just- leave me alone, Richard. I've had a shit morning."

I pushed through the cafeteria doors, the noise of chatter and clinking trays hitting me. The place was packed, but in the back corner, I spotted my homies all kicking it together. Navigating through the tables, I finally reached the crew.

I see Lesley and Alondra, my ride-or-die's, chatting it up with the others. Seeing them put a smile on my face.

"Hey Angel," everyone greeted me at once.

"What's up?" I greeted back, quickly taking a seat between my girls.

I glance over at Richard, his eyes on mine, as his homies greet him with the Sureño handshake.

I break eye contact.

"Are you and Richie mad or something?" Lesley asks before taking a bite from her PB&J sandwich.

I sigh, feeling the weight of the confrontations this morning with both Santiago and Richard. But I want to keep what happened with Richard, between him and me.

"Nah, it's just Santiago giving us a hard time again. You know how it is," I replied, trying to brush off the tension.

Alondra raised an eyebrow, "Again? What did he say this time?"

I hesitated for a moment, "Same old story."

Lesley shook her head, "Man, your brother needs to chill."

I nodded.

"Angela," said a strong female voice.

The whole cafeteria went quiet.

I look over my shoulder and see Mrs.Bakely, the school principal.

"Yeah?" I responded.

"Come with me," she ordered.

"What for?" Richard interjected on my behalf.

"It is none of your concern, Mr. Garcia," she said sternly. "Angela?"

I stood up and grabbed my bag, all eyes on us as I followed her down the cafeteria.

As we approached the door, Adrian strolled in, a donut in hand. I swiped it from him.