Chapter 1

The blaring sound of the alarm on my phone rudely woke me up from my deep sleep. Annoyed, I fumbled on my nightstand to silence it, careful not to wake up anyone else. I yanked my phone from its charger and flung myself back onto the bed, scrolling through the notifications that awaited me.

Several messages from friends, Twitter updates, and a couple of newsletters from news sites greeted me. I've always been that girl – curious about the state of the world we live in.

Just as I was scrolling through a news article, my phone dinged. It was a text message from my boyfriend Richard.

Richie: Good morning, Angel. How did my Princessa sleep?

A smile automatically grew on my face.

Richie and I have been together since freshman year. I know it's going to sound corny, but it really was love at first sight. I'm so in love with that man, I still get butterflies when I see him or receive cute messages like these.

Angela: Good morning, loser. I slept like a baby.

Richie: Good, because we're going to have to catch the bus to school. Adrian's dumbass took my car last night and wrecked it.

I groaned.

Angela: Of course, he would. Be at my door at 7:30 am sharp! Otherwise, I'm leaving without you!

Richie: I love it when you get bossy

Angela: Byee!

With a sigh, I tossed the phone to the side and dragged myself out of bed, trying to shake off the grogginess. The thought of having to catch the bus instead of cruising in Richie's car was far from appealing.

I'm going to kill Adrian when I see him.

After a quick shower, I wrapped myself in a towel and returned to my room. The clock on my dresser reminded me that time was ticking away, so I hurriedly sifted through my wardrobe to find something suitable.

Knowing that today I had to take the city bus, it was tempting to skip make-up and just put on black leggings and a T-shirt, but no.

My senior year of high school started two weeks ago, and I decided to ditch the 'comfy girl' vibe, no more wearing sweats and leggings.

So I settled on a white crop tee paired with light high-waisted denim jeans and sleek black leather boots. I pulled my hair into a tidy bun, applied a touch of makeup, and adorned myself with my favorite silver hoop earrings and a collection of rings.

I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled. This year it's all about embracing growth in all aspects. I'm stepping into a more polished version of myself.

At least aspects I have control over.

After I was done getting ready, I looked over at the clock—7:15 am. I have enough time to heat up some muffins for breakfast. I grabbed my purse and headed to the kitchen. I grabbed two chocolate chip muffins and slid them into the mini oven toaster.

"Hey," I jumped out at the sudden voice of my thirteen-year-old little sister Daisy.

She was still in her pajamas. Her school starts at 8:45 and it's only two streets down so she's in no hurry.

"Hey, want some coffee?" I asked her as I poured some on my reusable cup.

"No, I'm okay."

"What about a muffin?"

"No, I'm making myself a green juice. There's nothing healthy about a chocolate chip muffin," she muttered.

I roll my eyes. Daisy is 13 with the mind of a 30-year-old adult. She is such an old soul, and sassy too.