Chapter Three: Insecurities, Auras And Monsters

Shibuya Base, Masako Room

John Brown wasn't particularly good at dealing with the matters of the heart, especially when love was involved and young ladies seemed to suffer. He knew Masako Hara was in love with Naru—as Mai called him—but the love she held was simply one sided, because Naru already had a not so hidden interest in his assistant. That much was clear to him. Still, it pained him to see Masako overly upset for something out of her reach.

"Miss Hara, please calm down. Naru has a point in putting us in pairs. I promise to be the perfect gentlemen and give you as much privacy as possible without putting you at risk." He said to the distressed girl in front of him.

"I'm not distraught because he partnered us, it's because she gets the special treatment. Why did he call me for if he's only relying on her? I am a professional medium who makes time in a busy schedule to assist him. This is a horrible place to be, so full of dark emotions that only makes you feel worse." She said angered at the narcissist and his apparent cruelty.

"Miss Hara, he does care for all of us. He did give us a choice in this case, whether to accept or refuse. He's simply a little more concerned with Mai. We all know she does things by heart and therefore is unpredictable. I myself worry for her safety all the time as she truly is like Monk calls her, a danger magnet and this is not a very good place to attract attention to oneself. You did have a terrifying experience at the Urado case, right? Even so, Mai did her best to trace you and her ability helped us to find you before it was too late. She was a great help back then." John said trying to dispel the negative emotions toward Mai. Maybe she was right and the environment was influencing them in a way.

"Yes, she did help..." She said while remembering that horrifying experience and how relieved she had felt when Mai gave her that key. Maybe she was overreacting. She didn't want Mai to get seriously injured or killed, she just wanted Naru to herself, nothing more nothing less. Jealousy was truly a green monster and she needed to get rid of it. John was right, this wasn't the place nor the time for such childish behavior. She needed to become the professional person she claimed she was.

"Do you feel better now, Miss Hara?" John asked giving her a warm smile that made her blush a little.

"Yes, thank you, but can I ask you to call me Masako instead?" She said already feeling a little lighter from the oppressing feeling she held before.

"Sure, mate. Masako it is as long as you call me John. Do we have a deal?" He asked extending his hand for her to hold.

"Fine by me, John." She replied taking his hand in a kind of pact between them. It was always good to have someone to count on and she was glad that the cold hearted jerk at the very least, had the courtesy to pair her with the all too good John Brown.

"Can I ask your professional opinion of this mansion? I know Naru will ask you soon enough but, I feel... kind of restless in here. You seemed a little sick before we entered, so you must have felt something already. I just want to be prepared for whatever is thrown at us, and it's kind of my duty to keep you safe from here on." He said while blushing a little and Masako smiled at him. He was such a kind soul. Why she couldn't fall for a guy like him instead of a cold scientist who was too full of himself and apparently didn't have good taste in women? Well...the answer should be obvious. John was a priest and she respected that.

"There is a vicious air all around this mansion and it's not only concentrated inside. It comes from the outside woods as well. I don't think this monster or demon has any restrictions or bonds, like Urado did. It can come in or out whenever it pleases and is very strong. The women it kills are trapped here, not able to rest or move on. There's so many of them and they all plead and wish to be free... it's so horrible..." She said taking pity on the poor souls. "I don't think a cleansing is possible here... only an exorcism could purify such darkness. I just wonder what kind of atrocities were committed on these grounds to have soiled it to this extent." Just taking a guess gave her the chills and she subconsciously hugged herself in search of more warmth.