☾ Luna ☽

Chapter 1

Luna Dovelin finally knew what it was like to be Governor. It was tiring and sometimes she wished her father, Helios, was still in reign. All she wanted to do was burrow under her mountain of blankets and read. However, she still had a pile of complaints from the people, letters to write to the Commonwealth, and interviews about Black Rain to do. She groaned, and rotated her wrist. Her fingers cramped, and they hurt too much for her to continue.

"Ugh! Why did I ever want to be governor?" She asked herself. Because she had thought that Dad would have been there to mentor her, be with her every step of the way. He had always known what to do.

Suddenly, the door burst open and Liberty Peregrine rushed in. "Hey, Lib. You know there's something called knocking, right?"

"Well, what's the point of giving me your password then?" Liberty remarked.

"Geez, just try and be polite, for once! It's called manners." Luna scoffed.

"Well, sorry, but I'm a boss nerd and I get to do whatever I want."

"Oh whatever. Well, what do you want?" Luna asked, tired.

"Back in the castle kitchen Chef Kristina says that they're all out of milk," Liberty said.

"MILK?" Luna grunted. "You know you could've just gone to milk Kinni and Georgie right? Instead of bursting into my room. You actually have to work some, Lib!"

"Yeah, but it's special milk!" Liberty insisted, a little spoiled billionaire heiress creeping into her voice. "Not just regular cow's milk! They need the milk to make some food that requires the silkier and richer milk that Perecorns give!"

"Oh, okay." Luna sighed. "Just go to the Saskia Forest. There are a few Perecorns in there. You did know that, right?"

"Yeah, totally." Liberty walked out of the office and began walking towards the monorail.

Luna sighed and bonked her head on the table, not even questioning her friend's weird antics. Whatever. She's got it easy. Returning her focus to her piles of boring paper, she was almost wishing that Liberty was back, no matter how annoying she could be. It would give her an excuse to at least talk.

Luna checked her watch. Time for that press conference with the Commonwealth. She opened a drawer, and pulled out a remote. She clicked the power button, and the screens flicked on. Luna was sucked in the virtual world. Suddenly, faces, familiar faces began to pop on the screen as they entered the press call.

Queen Camille, from England, President Tunic, from Africa, Emperor Li Sheng from China, Prime Minister Karen from Australia, Governor Shostakovsky from Russia, General O'Sullivan from Ireland, two representatives from Antarctica (the once freezing city had really blossomed into one of the most successful continent) and so on. Small, almost unreadable text, read at the bottom their names and countries ever-so-helpfully.

Luna cleared her throat. "I called this meeting to order, it is now 14:34."

She opened her drawer and pulled out a blue and silver, velvet-to-the-touch notebook with an L engraved in it, and a more practical-looking blue folder with the crest of the Republic of New Calypso. Her ballpoint pen was in her hand as she started jotting down notes. "I have sent you all privately emails about Black Rain. The Fourfold Council has considered whether Dianna Black and her cronies have a pattern. However, Liberty Peregrine has turned that decision down, as she believes that Dianna Black should be wise enough not to go randomly bombing cities. What worries me the most is how she managed to go unscathed and undiscovered so long. She went from Singapore to Detrix, and we can all agree the stretch between that distance is very long."