Chapter 8

Ryan, Dan, Phil, Zoe, Joe, Alfie, Ian, and Anthony are all running towards me and away from the collapsing bridge.
"Where's Lilly?" I shout.
"She's stuck near the bridge." Alfie admits, looking down shamefully.
"Everyone stay here." I push past them and run to the wreckage. Car alarms are being set off as they get bumped around. The river is swelling, the banks rise up. I have to get to Lilly, before it's too late. A line of cars stand in my way, I can't squeeze in between them. Over or under are my only options. Over seems safer, so I leap up and grab the top of the red Toyota in front of me, putting my foot on the door handle. I climb to the top of the car and look out at the edge of what remains of the bridge. A car is starting to roll backwards when I hear the cry of help.
"I'm coming!" I yell and jump off the car, hitting the ground hard. It takes a second to recover from the impact. A second wasted to get to Lilly in time. I start to run, as fast as I possible can. Dodging cars slows me down, but I press on. If now is the time as any to prove my worth, I better take the chance.
"Help me!" She yells as loud as she can.
"I'm almost there!" I shout back. I will myself to run faster. I get close enough to see the car she's stuck in. She reaches through the broken window towards me. The hole isn't big enough for her to climb through. "It's okay, I'm here." I say as I arrive at the car. The bridge shifts again, and the car start rolling down. I grab onto it and try to hold it in place, but it's too big and heavy.
"Get me out of here!" She cries out desperately.
"Okay, I'm going to break the window, get back." I say and pull my katana out of its sheath. I bring the handle down onto the window with full force. The window shatters, creating a hole big enough for her. She reaches her hands out of the hole and I pull her out.
"I think I twisted my ankle when the car started rolling." She says and winces while trying to stand.
"Hop on my back." I say and squat down.
She climbs on and I'm off, running as fast as I can while the bridge becomes steeping and it falls into the water. A car rolls towards us.
"Go over and I'll go under!" I tell her and she climbs over my shoulders. I throw her upwards as hard as I can and I dive to the ground, flattening out. The car rolls over me and Lilly jumps off behind me, landing on one leg. I scoop her back up and continue running. We're almost there, so close. Yukon barks and I push myself faster for the last stretch. Finally we reach the others and I put down Lilly, falling to ground from exhaustion.
"We should've helped her back when we could. The least we can do now is guard this place while you two rest. Then we'll figure out what else to do when you wake up." Ryan says, and I nod, panting too hard to speak.
I've never used that much energy in my life. Yukon walks over to me and licks my face. I smile and he lies down next to me. I lie my head down gently on him and close my eyes.