FALLEN ANGEL (One Shot)

• Dedicated kay Angel Beatriz Rodriguez

Hi. My name is Angel Rodriguez. I'm a simple girl. I'm not rich and I'm not poor. I'm average-minded--I get As and Bs like everybody else in school. I don't like being flashy in what I wear. I prefer my white cotton blouse paired with my flowing purple skirt and a flower tiara to match. Yes...I'm kind of weird but I like it that way. 

I got my mother's looks--based on what I hear. My Dad says I'm her clone but I never met her. You see, my Mom died before I even got the chance to get to know her. I never saw her photographs in the house because Dad doesn't want to remember the pain of losing her thus hiding every single memory of Mom. I want to meet her someday, though--like in a vision or even in my dreams. I just want to fill that empty aching feeling in me that can only be filled by the presence of her love and care for me. 

People think I'm odd. Most of my girl classmates stay away from me because I'm different. They wear too short skirts or flashy, revealing tops and use tons of make-up. I kind of like them not being with me, though. It's kind of disturbing to see their cleavages and legs so I find it peaceful to just visit the library where there are no girls like those. Just lovely books, kind old ladies, and nerdy school mates. 

One thing to know about me is that... I love books. I care for books. It's my fantasy world where I can be anyone I can ever be like a princess, a damsel in distress, or a warrior. Nobody can make me cry there nor hurt me. It's just pure happiness in simple pages that gets worn out while I flip them. 

"Miss Rodriguez," said my professor in Physics, looking at me sternly. 

"I'm sorry," I whispered, looking at my notes once more. 

I forgot. It's study hour in Physics and I'm supposed to be studying not daydreaming. I shook my head to gain my focus and looked over the laws of motion once more, memorizing the different formulas presented. 

In the middle of memorizing, somebody nudged me and passed me a note. It's got the familiar scribble of my best friend, Frank Reid. He's my only companion for most times. He's my buddy, he's my shoulder to cry on, he's my clown. He's also very smart and handsome thus having a line of girls following him around. I became his best friend because he thought of me being different and safe to trust. 

The note read: What's up with you? Another prince galloping in your dream?

Frank knows me better than anyone else--including my Dad. He knew I was daydreaming a while ago but sadly, he's wrong. It's not a prince that's galloping in my daydream. It's him. Ever since the day we became close, I've got a crush on him. Then it grew and grew until one day, it hit me. I fell for him. I, Angel Rodriguez, fell for my best friend. 

I blushed a bit and quickly wrote a reply: Kinda. Tell you soon.

I passed it to him then returned to my notes. But before I could even read anything else, my vision became blurry. I shook my head and closed my eyes in hopes that it would be clear again. When I opened my eyes, no such luck. It's blurry as hell. I tried to signal the professor, wherever he is, that I'm not feeling well but then I felt a warm liquid oozing through my nose. I could hear the first few drips on my notes knowing fully well what it was...blood

My classmates seem to notice what's happening to me but instead of helping me out, they began to laugh. One even shouted that I was finding the lesson too hard. Before I could say anything else... before Frank could even come to my rescue... I fell to the floor, unconscious. 

~

Everything was at peace. The sun was shining so high up in the cloudless, blue sky. The waves in the sea are splashing in the shoreline and I could smell the sweet salty scent of the sea along with the fresh tulips adorned in my hair and the yummy scent of buttery crabs being cooked at the end of the beach. I was happy with Frank, chasing and splashing water at each other. When we got tired, Frank led me to this amazing picnic by the shore.