Chapter Two

Chapter Two

“Okay everyone, gather around.” A woman in a pinstripe suit with a thick Chinese accent told us.

After successfully finding my cabin and organizing myself more or less into the large space (I was one of the lucky people that didn’t have a roommate), I was ordered to meet in the amphitheatre. It wasn’t even midday but the sun was out and shining bright.

Currently I stood next to a brightly ornamented girl with neon orange hair and a bunch of piercings. She had the next door cabin so she’d kind of tagged along with me. Not that I complained; I didn’t want to wander alone trying to find an amphitheatre in this maze.

I forgot her name but I remember it had something to do with Europe. A country? Italy, I think.

She was really cheery and over the top loud but seemed to have an emo thing going on; which lead me to believe that she was bipolar. Her personality seemed to be as bright as her clothing was dark. Even her lipstick was black. Next to all of that black and gray, her silver earrings and over-the-top hair contrasted greatly.

“Okay everyone, I am Woo Chang... You can call me Ms Chang though.” The lady in the suit looked strict and regal; as though she were running a monarchy and not a summer camp for rich kids.

“I’ll keep this simple. Collect your documents specifying your assignments, itineraries, teams, activities and other necessary items from the table to my right. As for the newcomers, you guys have this day free to familiarize yourself with the camp, children and your cohorts.” She used the word cohort. She actually used the word cohort.

I looked at Italy and gave her a small smile before gesturing towards the table. We made our way, with her chattering on about some Chinese cuisine that she thought tasted scrumptious and then about a movie that she really enjoyed. We reached the table and stood in line to get our documents.

“Hi, I’m Thea,” I said to the guy behind the table.

“Hey, I’m Gotye,” he replied in a delicious French accent as he offered me a knee-buckling smile.

“Thanks, Gotye.” I smiled back but I had a feeling that it was too big and showed too many teeth to be considered cute.

I heard someone to my side hide a laugh and looked to see Max trying to compose himself while taking his documents from Gotye.

I grit my teeth and stomped back to my cabin.

How dare he laugh at me! I fumed as I sat down on the mahogany table situated in the middle of my room. Gosh, he’s so full of himself! I spread out the papers and looked at my schedule. It had the list of different activities I was in charge of. I quickly grabbed a highlighter from my sling bag and started highlighting my breaks. After I was done I decided to take a quick shower before grabbing my swim suit, t-shirt and shorts then heading out.

“Adventure is out there,” I chanted, dramatically holding my thumb up in the air.

“Uh, what are you doing?” I looked towards the voice to see the Italy chick looking at me weirdly.

“Nothing, I was going to go explore... you wanna join?” I asked as nicely as I could while secretly hoping that she would decline.

“Nah, I don’t like exploring... or walking... or living,” well, that escalated quickly. Bipolar, I tell you.

“Oh, okay. Well, I guess I’ll see you later then.”

I walked along the stony path that circled the numerous water fountains randomly placed in the camp; at first, I had thought they were random but according to a sign I later found, each fountain sat atop the graves of the camps most cherished men. I had read a little into this camp and apparently before it was turned into a summer destination, it was actually a base camp for Chinese Ming warriors. Each fountain was where one of the bravest warriors were rumoured to be buried.