Level:18

Now, this is the part of the story that triggered this whole writing spree. This is the part when I turned 18. Hence, the level 18 insomnia was on its way. Many things happened the day I turned 18. I wish I was drunk and I wish I could erase that memory from my mind. But first let me tell you things about my mother.

Mother loved me more than anyone else and I kinda wish the love was reciprocated from my side because when I was a kid and couldn't sleep at night, mum would stay with me for a while till I fell asleep. This was when my insomnia was at its early stage. I could sleep an hour or two back then. So mother would sleep with me. But the truth was, I faked my sleep so that she could go sleep in her bedroom comfortably. God, I was one hell of a son, wasn't I? She knew about my insomnia and she was over worried about that.

Sometimes, she prescribed me pills. You see, she was a neuro-surgeon too with a doctorate degree. But I could tell her with the look in her face that she was not a fan of prescribing pills. So after a few years, she stopped giving me pills as they affected my immunity and health.

And then this little prince turned 18. On my last night of my 17th year, things went haywire. I got a freaking telescope as a gift from both my mum and brother(you see the telescope was my brother's idea and money was mum's.) That's how birthdays went in my family. I can't remember my brother giving me anything but ideas. In return, I gave him nothing but a card saying "Happy Born Day, Jay!" every year in his birthday. At least I had the decency to make a card, right? Well, on that particular night I went stargazing at the roof top. I knew I wasn't getting any sleep that night so I took a mattress and a blanket and a thermos of coffee with me. You must be wondering what in the holy world is an insomniac doing with a coffee, but I loved coffee. In fact, it was not actually coffee, it was the remains of my coffee flavored birthday cake that I grinded with milk. You shoulda seen Jason's face when he saw me doing that. I think he was cursing me.

"C'mon you didn't get me anything. I deserve this whole cake....which is now a coffee-shake. You see what I did there?" I grinned. He did too.

"Of course, birthday boy. Its your day. Do whatever you want. Just get me a decent coffee-cake on mine."

He bro-fisted me before going to bed. I shoulda mentioned this earlier in addition from our uncanny similarity in looks, we both loved coffee very much.

So there I was with a thermos of coffee-shake and my new telescope, on my roof, stargazing. I tried to locate some constellations. Tried. It was such an intense silence. I tried to focus the lenses but something disturbed the intensity of light. I took my eyes off my telescope. A pair of lights was blinking down the street. It didn't even take a second to realise whose car it was that was blinking its headlights.

"NO, YOU DIDN'T", I shouted down.

"YES, WE DID.", came the answer from the car.

The doors of the Porsche flew open and two tall figures appeared from either side of the car. It was Freya and Frank, my best friends. Frank cried, "Now come down you birthday boy! Whatchya waiting for? Lets paint the town...umm...black and white - owww! What was that for?"

"He's got Insomnia not night-blindness,dumbo!"said Freya."Seriously? I can't believe I shared a womb with you."

I really wanted to stargaze with my new telescope that night. But I couldn't help but feel happy about the fact that I was 18 now and I could spend this night with my best friends outside. Mum and Jay were already asleep, I guessed. So I decided to go with Frank and Freya without telling them. The rebel inside me was growing up. I can do anything tonight, I said to myself. I just changed my jeans and the next thing I know, I was already in Frank and Freya's father's brand new Porsche.

"How did you even--", I started but was interrupted by the sound of engine starting.
"Hush down now birthday boy! We have a tight schedule. No time to explain. Franky, hit the gear and say the magic word." Freya said.

"Allons-yyy!" We all shouted.
We headed for a bar. I'd never been to a bar before. Frank and Freya's uncle owned a bar called Purple Paper. So they've been introduced to the bar ages ago even though they were not allowed to. It was in a street like 8 blocks away from from my home.

It was so freaking loud inside the bar. It was like every walls were radiating some kind of high pitched disco songs. Teenagers were all on the floor dancing and head-banging. A little older ones were at the bar with their drinks trying to pick-up possible mates. Somehow I felt I was still 17 and a complete outcast.

Frank patted me on my back. "Let's get you some drink. What d'you wanna have?"

"Yeah, like I come here everyday." I shouted sarcastically.

"Okay. Lets start light."

He headed for the bar and came back with three bottles of beer. We cheersed. Freya even made a toast, which was completely inaudible.

Then the night got heavier. We glided from beers to Martinis (Freya's choice) to Bloody Mary to cocktails I can't even spell to shots to shots with blinking lights.

The next thing I know I was being dragged by Jason on the front porch of my house.

"Hey! Hey, Cal! I can't believe I am saying this. Wake up!" I couldn't open my eyes but something told me he was smirking. I had put all my weight on his shoulder. Something was smelling funny. I must have thrown up somewhere. I tried to open my eyes. I could see Mum with a worried look.

"I'm...S..sorry, M..mum." She was coming towards me to help Jason settle me down on the couch.

"Its okay, Caleb. Looks like someone had a good night's sleep." She said smiling.

Suddenly, it was not feeling right. What? I slept? Then my head started spinning.

"We found you on Mrs. Brook's door across the street." Jason was saying.

I looked at Mum. She was not angry. She was smiling. She tried to lift my head up to place a cushion behind. Something was wrong in my head. Why isn't she mad at me? I came home drunk for god's sake! I was feeling...not right. My nerves were bulking. She should be mad at me. I could not think straight. All I felt was this sensations of emotions fluctuating inside my brain. I was mad.

It didn't take long for the voice inside my head to transform into the voice from my throat.
"I CAME HOME DRUNK, MUM. WHY AREN'T YOU MAD AT ME? WHY DO YOU MAKE ME FEEL LIKE I NEED PITYING. WHY AM I TREATED SO DIFFERENTLY? IT FEELS LIKE I AM AN ALIEN HERE! AND I WHY CAN'T I ASK ABOUT MY FATHER?"

At that moment, Jason came charging towards me and slapped me square across my face.

"Do not dare to speak to Mum like that!"

I looked at Mum. She looked more worried now. I felt like what they say about the feeling when you wake up from a really bad dream. But I didn't know what that feel. So it felt odd. I wanted to say sorry. But words didn't pass my throat. I started shaking and weeping. There was silence which Mum suddenly broke it, her voice trying to hide her tears, yet firm.

"Because your father is the reason you can't sleep."