Chapter 11

Swara went downstairs while Sanskar was getting ready. As she reached the hall, she saw Badi Maa doing the aarti alone at the temple. She went to her and stood by her, waiting for her to finish the aarti. When Annapurna was finally done and turned around, she saw Swara there.

"Swara ...." She asked

"Badi Maa...I wanted to say....." Swara was feeling a bit emotional as she spoke. A part of her wanting to do this long time back, but she was too lost in the bliss of having Sanskar with her, in a way everyone was.

"Shh...." Annupurna quietened her, patting her cheek before running a motherly hand over her head "Be Happy. My blessings are always with you...with both of you". She smiled gently and then walked away.

Swara turned to look at her. She had been thankful to Badi Maa for all the happiness that both she and Sanskar had in their lives today. Without her, she would have never been able to handle Laksh, let alone reach a stage where she realized what she felt for Sanskar.

She remembered the first time Badi Maa had come to talk to her. It had been more than a month back, it was the day that Laksh had hurt himself and was emotionally blackmailing her. She had been on tenterhooks, unclear of how she was going to get her message through to Laksh and how she was going to fix everything. She had been standing along staring out of the window when she had heard a knock. At first she had thought it would be Sanskar, but it had turned out to be Badi Maa. Badi Maa had taken her to the temple. She could still remember everything that transpired between them as though it had happened just a few minutes before.

"Swara, do you remember that I had asked Sanskar about your marriage right here" Annapurna had asked. Swara had only responded with a nod.

"He had lied to me at the time. I forgave him because of the reason he was forced to do it. But when I ask you something right now, all I want is the truth. I wont accept any deceit, Swara. Can I expect the truth from you?" she had asked in a firm tone. Getting a nod again from Swara, she had asked "Do you want to stay married to Sanskar? When he asked for the Divorce today, was it for himself or on your behalf?"

Swara was startled by the question for a minute, but the expression on Annapurna's face made it clear that she wouldn't let it go and she was serious about having this discussion in its entirety and in full honestly.

"I don't want to stay married to Sanskar, Badi Maa. I cannot stay in this forced marriage. I don't love Sanskar and we both don't want to continue it" Swara answered

"I did not ask you if Sanskar was to stay married Swara" Annapurna replied before asking her next question "Do you still love Laksh? Is there something going on between the two of you"

Swara was completely taken aback by this question "Badi Maa. What are you saying? How can you link me to Laksh now? He is married to my sister."

"Swara, that was not my question. It is important for me to have the whole truth. I know that he didn't hurt himself while cutting the apple. Be honest with me for once Swara"

"Badi Maa. I don't love Laksh anymore. I don't want to be with him. He is nothing more that my sister's husband to me now. I have been trying to make him see that for some time. But he just doesn't want to understand the reality. I don't know what to do anymore" she broke down and sank on the floor.

Annapurna sat down next to her "Swara, I am not trying to pressurize you into something that you don't want, but it is the question of the lives and happiness of both my sons. As a mother, I cannot look the other way when they are in pain and I cannot help with anything if I don't even know what is going on. I am not doubting you or your intentions, but I do hope you understand my reason for needing to know everything as well"