Chapter 11: Jason

I stare at her in horror. Is this part of the plan to make me crack? Am I supposed to pity her? Tell my dad everything because Ava, a girl who betrayed me and went behind my back, a girl who I trusted, is hitting herself? Jesus Christ, she deserves this! Let her hit her damn self! See what I care!

Expect, I'm not the only one staring at her horror-struck. My dad looks like he's going to kill someone. Well, more than usual.

"Ava! What are you doing?" he hisses. "You're supposed to be hitting Declan!"

I tear my gaze away from Ava to look at my father. "Declan? You wanted her to hit Declan? Are you freaking insane? He's 10! He isn't part of any of this! Don't involve him!"

He gives me a sly grin. "I think it's a little too late for that!"

He points to Declan, who can't seem to look away from Ava. Ava!

"Ava! Stop, just please stop!" I cry out to her. "Please, please don't do this to yourself."

"Y-You don't get it Jason", she says weakly. "This is my only way to make this right. This is my only way out..."

"This is my only way out."

"Melissa, come on, this isn't your only option!" I remember saying. "He isn't that bad. You get used to him!"

She had looked at me, disappointed. "Oh, Jason. Can't you see what he is doing? He is killing people for his own needs. He's a tyrant and he cannot be stopped. He will come after me next, I know it. I don't want to end up like Wren. Please, I don't want to die like him."

"Dad won't kill you!" I had insisted.

"He killed his son. He can kill his daughter."

I gave up. There was nothing I could do or say that would change her mind. And, as much as I didn't want to admit it, she was right. Wren had come home completely wasted and it had struck a nerve with our father. To punish him, he sent him in an incomplete World, sent him to his death. I nod.

"What do you want me to do?"

She looked me, her eyes bright with something I had never seen before. Instead of lighting up with fear, Melissa's eyes shone with hope. "Make me disappear."