Chapter 21: Ava

I knew who I was getting into bed with when I had started working for the Creator. But I never thought his wickedness would go this far. The glint of pleasure that inhabited his eyes as he speaks to Declan about what Jason had done, it was downright frightening. It was inhuman. But then again, the Creator is as far away from human as you can get.

Declan is curled into himself, crying his heart out. It is heartbreaking. His father literally just killed the little boy's admiration and adoration for his hero. Declan is going to have major trust issues after this, if he doesn't already.

"Ava", the Creator calls out to me.

"Yes, sir", I say, approaching him.

"Stay here a while, will you? I'm going to go for a little walk with Declan. You know, clear his mind, make him feel better about this situation and all."

I don't think a walk is what is going to make the kid feel better but I know better than to contradict what the Creator says so I simply nod at his request.

"Thank you. And if Jason shows up, chain him up to a tree or something."

"Alright..."

I watch them leave and slump against the giant rock in the middle of the clearing, cradling my head. I had been stung by a bee while I had been running for my life and I was still feeling the effects of the poison. I wonder if Jason is even still alive. When Declan arrived alone, my heart skipped a beat. Where was Jason? Had he seen the bees too? Had the bees killed him? I wish I could have ask Declan but I barely had the time to slip in a breath.

My mind wanders back to what the Creator was talking about. Had Jason really killed his sister? Was it even possible? My thoughts on Jason couldn't have been that far off. He seemed like such a nice guy, wouldn't even hurt a fly. Seems. He's still alive, he has to be. In his sleep, he kept mumbling on about Melissa, begging her not to leave him, to take him with her. That doesn't sound like something a killer would say. Or does it?

I sigh loudly, hoping the sound would block all my thoughts. No luck. Instead, it just brings more noise. Feet thumping, branches cracking. It could only be one person. I smile as Jason appears in front of the clearing... and frown when I see a girl behind him. A girl I've never met before, who is, frankly, utterly beautiful. Who the hell is she?

Jason halts when he sees me. He looks around, looking for his brother, I suppose. The girl whispers something in his ear and he nods, concerned.

"Where is he?" he asks roughly.

"He went to clear his head", I say, getting up.

"So he was here? And he's okay?"

"He's great, Jason. Declan is perfectly fine."

Relief floods his features and he smiles. The girl whispers yet again something in his ear and he laughs. My face turns pink.

"Do you know when he'll be back?" the girl asks.

I look at her disdainfully. Can't Jason talk for himself?

"I don't know, maybe a few more minutes."

"Wait. You let him go into the woods all by himself? What if he gets lost, or my dad wakes up and once again kidnaps him?"

Relief makes way for panic on Jason's face. Crap. I hadn't though this through.

"Ah, Jason. You're finally here!"

"You have got to be freaking kidding me."

I guess I don't have to think of an inventive lie this time.