Chapter 19: the Creator

The confusion on my son's face brings me profound joy. It's the time to push him, to break his ties to Jason for once and for all.

"Yes, Declan", I say in a soothing voice. "He killed her."

The lies flow easily out of my mouth, as easily as the truth would. Horror and fear washes over his face. I stifle a smile of accomplishment.

"N-No, he didn't. Jason, h-he would n-never do that!" he hiccups. He shakes his head violently. "He would never!"

Tears streak his round cheeks. It takes everything to prevent myself from laughing. How easy it is to manipulate! I try to look as empathetic as possible.

"He didn't tell you? Oh, of course, he would never! He wouldn't want to drive you away! But son, by telling you this, I'm in no way trying to hurt you." HA! "I'm only trying to look out for you, Declan, my favorite son. I don't want the same thing that happened to Melissa to happen to you! Another death on Jason's hands would be just unbearable."

I push and push. I add lie after lie. Such pleasure to see his face crumple. How gullible he is, that little Declan. I must break him, I must break them all.

"Daddy, I'm scared", he whispers through his tears.

"Don't be, son. I promise to protect you until the day I die."

I pat him on the back and give him a big hug. Why make promise, if not to brake it? Why tell a truth when a lie is so much more satisfying?